Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

colorado and utah parks

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default colorado and utah parks

doing a trip out to colorado and utah from chicago, but only for one week

plan on seeing the national parks and monuments. doing what i can and what is feasable

looking for any comments / suggestions on what i 'have' to see

maybe order by importance or something

thanks in advance

mj

Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Just did some of what you want to do....so here it goes......Trailer to Denver..then ride all around Colorado....not enough time to do Utah..well maybe.
You can do:
Mt Evans
Pikes peak
Durango
Million dollar highway
Mesa Verde
Four corners
Moab..
Lots of mountains and passes
Rocky mountains park.

Definately doable.

Attached Thumbnails colorado and utah parks-image.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

forget utah...there is plenty to see in colorado. pack some warm gear and your rain suit. it seems like it rains every afternoon in the mountains--usually just showers, but it is still cold at altitude.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 PM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from Utah. Have a thread on here some where, 6 days, 9 states &4000 miles... Goblin St park is a must see, as is dead horse point, islands in the sky, Arches, Capitol reef, and bryce canyon. We intended to see monument valley & mexican hat but turned back due to high winds. If you are near Hovenweep in colorado, it's a must see also.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Both states have some of the best U.S. rides.

BUT: If it was me, I'd do Colorado between June 1 and Sept. 30th and I'd travel Utah May 1-30 or Sept. 15-October 15th. I say this because of the weather...Utah is hotter than hell in the summer and you might run into wintery conditions in Colorado before and after the dates I mention.

If you have only 9 days and want to do both states you'll spend most of your time on the road between 3-4 selected destinations. Zion to Rocky Mountain National Park is over 600 miles on the interstate. I really believe most people from back east underestimate the distances out here in the west and realize when they get here that they can't do everything on one trip. IMO, to do both states justice would take two weeks so for your purposes I would cherry pick spots in eastern Utah (Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse State Park) with a few rides in Colorado (Million Dollar Highway, Silver Thread Trail, Independence Pass and Trail Ridge Road). Figure 2 days from Chicago to Colorado and 2 days back...that leaves 5 days to see a lot of country.

Last edited by Whiskers; 07-07-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Dirtbagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Whiskers about the weather and timing. We just got back from Utah and Colorado, but spent more time in Utah than Colorado for this trip. It was hot, so bring lots of water. The Million Dollar Highway is amazing in Colorado. It is in the Southwest corner so you'll also be able to see Mesa Verde and Durango. We stayed in Cortez and Durango. Near there, you can go to Arches and Canyonlands NP and if adventurous, can swing to Mexican Hat and the Moki Dugway (just to say you did it). Mexican Hat is near Monument Valley. These are all hot and in Utah. If you go to Monument Valley, take a private 4 wheel tour, its worth it. If I was going this time of year, i'd look to Colorado... so much to see there and amazing mountain roads. My wife liked the beautiful vistas of Utah, but I liked the twisty roads of Colorado.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Mark, 7 days... 2 days out 2 day's back gives you 3 day's to see Co. forget Utah. Start in Estes park, work your way thru the middle of the state to Durango and do the San Juan Loop (includes the Million Dollar Highway...1 day). You could spend 3 day's around Estes Park. Hard pressed to see just Trail Ridge Rd. (1 day), find your way down to Durango (1 day at least) and San Juan loop (1 day) IMO best ride in U.S. Good luck You will absolutely luv Co. Maybe some of the Co. guys could recommend the best way to get from Estes Park to Durango.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 PM
KWBond
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Park

Try to make it to Estes Park, ride through The Rocky Mountain National Park to Winter Park. If you have time take a few of the hiking trails south of Estes Park
Well worth it. We will be heading up there soon for a 9 day ride.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Mark, 7 days... 2 days out 2 day's back gives you 3 day's to see Co. forget Utah. Maybe some of the Co. guys could recommend the best way to get from Estes Park to Durango.
OP said 'one week' so I assumed Saturday to the next Sunday...nine days. Now I'm not sure if that means seven or nine days?!

With seven days you'll be hard pressed to see Trail Ridge AND Durango. Best bet with seven days is to fly and rent a bike in Denver or Colorado Springs.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

still going but plans are somewhat changed

there will be 3 of us and we will be flying to denver
(denver - unless someone has a better option)
once in denver will rent a car (yeh yeh yeh, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do)

so we will have 9 days more or less

does leave more options open, but still don't wanna just race around like an idiot

would rather hit the good place then try to do everything

and thanks for the comments

Quick Reply: colorado and utah parks