Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Hotels or other trip lodging - cost strategies for long road trips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When traveling solo I have never had a problem finding lodging without a reservation. If travelling the interstate I find they advertise their prices on billboards to undercut competition. When I select a hotel for the night, I try to find one that offers a free hot breakfast to cut down on that expense. That is one way of cost-cutting.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman05
When traveling solo I have never had a problem finding lodging without a reservation. If travelling the interstate I find they advertise their prices on billboards to undercut competition. When I select a hotel for the night, I try to find one that offers a free hot breakfast to cut down on that expense. That is one way of cost-cutting.
I have found that most of the breakfasts are pretty low quality, but I use a different method: I carry a small bag of Kashi dry cereal in my luggage, and supplement that with a hotel's orange juice, etc.

Jim G

Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I plan my trips well in advance and have all lodging booked ahead of time. No, that's not very flexible, but I do not like surprises when traveling. I guess I'm not a real "seat of the pants" kind of guy. I will not camp, and prefer to stay in decent motels, usually Best Western with my HOG discount, unless they are too outrageous and then I'll go the budget route, looking at Choicehotels, Super8, or even Motel 6. I know where I will be spending each night and try to keep my daily mileage between 400 and 500 per day. That still leaves time for some sightseeing and other diversions. I travel alone, so I don't have to wait for others or accommodate someone else's schedule.

I am leaving on a 3000 mile ride in a couple of days.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Internet- go buy yourself an iPad mini (the cheap one 8g) with 4g service from verizon( I have both ATT and verizon) you can buy service in monthly increments to cover just your trip. The up charge for 4g over wifi is $129. The mini can be an internet hotspot for your Laptop and phone. Buy it at an apple store if possible, instant support at all other apple stores.
The mini fits in a gun pocket on jacket or vest. Download 3 apps
My radar
Google maps
IB Autogroup. (HD Forum)

I use Motel 6 to keep the costs down when alone. I camp a lot and have more tents than bikes but I find it just takes too much of the day. I travel for a living and spend twice as many nights in hotels than at home. I also use Marriott/Hilton and best western (Hog). Corporate discount pricing is lower than HOG discount

Marriott/Hilton - $120. - bike farthest from the room, big room soft bed sweet smelling shampoo fluffy towels - more expensive properties breakfast $18 internet $12 - less expensive good breakfast and internet free

Best Western - $89 - treat you like royalty. Bike parked at room or front door. Shampoo towels bed vary by location, free breakfast but if served by relative I would know not to ever go back - internet varied by location

Motel 6 - $39-$49 - concrete room just big enough to change mind. Flat surface to sleep on, us soap as shampoo, sheets double as towels, bike is usually parked close enough to door to put reminder cable from rear disk lock on the door handle- the winner here for me is the mobile app which tells you all motel 6 rooms available along your route and allows you to prebuy the room instantly with a single click. Cold rolls and hot coffee

One of my favorite times to ride when alone is between 8pm and 2am, I pre plan my route- usually 3 different ways to avoid weather- I only know the destination hotel. The work the Motel 6 app does to get that room is worth the flimsy towels.

Good riding

Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

There are a lot of good ideas and options that you all have contributed. One more might help some of you. Many hotels ( especially near the truck stops/interstates ) offer a real good discount if you have a CDL. I discovered this on the way home from Sturgis last year. I saved nearly $30.00 on a really nice room.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:34 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Your going through many major cities. Motels are going to cost. Best bet follow motel 6's

Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kokemill
Internet- go buy yourself an iPad mini (the cheap one 8g) with 4g service from verizon( I have both ATT and verizon) you can buy service in monthly increments to cover just your trip. The up charge for 4g over wifi is $129. The mini can be an internet hotspot for your Laptop and phone. Buy it at an apple store if possible, instant support at all other apple stores.
The mini fits in a gun pocket on jacket or vest. Download 3 apps
My radar
Google maps
IB Autogroup. (HD Forum)

I use Motel 6 to keep the costs down when alone. I camp a lot and have more tents than bikes but I find it just takes too much of the day. I travel for a living and spend twice as many nights in hotels than at home. I also use Marriott/Hilton and best western (Hog). Corporate discount pricing is lower than HOG discount

Marriott/Hilton - $120. - bike farthest from the room, big room soft bed sweet smelling shampoo fluffy towels - more expensive properties breakfast $18 internet $12 - less expensive good breakfast and internet free

Best Western - $89 - treat you like royalty. Bike parked at room or front door. Shampoo towels bed vary by location, free breakfast but if served by relative I would know not to ever go back - internet varied by location

Motel 6 - $39-$49 - concrete room just big enough to change mind. Flat surface to sleep on, us soap as shampoo, sheets double as towels, bike is usually parked close enough to door to put reminder cable from rear disk lock on the door handle- the winner here for me is the mobile app which tells you all motel 6 rooms available along your route and allows you to prebuy the room instantly with a single click. Cold rolls and hot coffee

One of my favorite times to ride when alone is between 8pm and 2am, I pre plan my route- usually 3 different ways to avoid weather- I only know the destination hotel. The work the Motel 6 app does to get that room is worth the flimsy towels.

Good riding
Hey, you've thought this out!

Jim G

Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 PM
RomeoMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at AirBnB.com. You book a room in someone's home, sometimes as low as $30 a night

Old 07-21-2014, 07:02 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RomeoMike
Look at AirBnB.com. You book a room in someone's home, sometimes as low as $30 a night
THAT sounds awesome. I have tried using AirBnB before, but for getaways with my wife, so I may have been looking at only the romantic (translate: expensive) places.

I'll give it another try.

Jim G

Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

Quick Reply: Hotels or other trip lodging - cost strategies for long road trips?