Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Help with an Butt Burner ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:46 AM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with an Butt Burner ride

I am planning this trip for next Tuesday leaving around midnight. For those of you who have done one what map do you mail in with your packet. The directions say use google maps and circle your gas stops. I can't get the map blown up enough to show them unless I do 20 map pages and circle them that way. Is there an easier way?

Also it says to get a dated receipt for each corner so does that mean each time I change roads I have to get off and get a receipt for gas to show that I switched roads?

Here is the route I will be taking. Anyone done this route or know of a better one?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dame...d43.643002!3e0

Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 9one1
I am planning this trip for next Tuesday leaving around midnight. For those of you who have done one what map do you mail in with your packet. The directions say use google maps and circle your gas stops. I can't get the map blown up enough to show them unless I do 20 map pages and circle them that way. Is there an easier way?

***Blow it up the best you can and just put a red X where you stop. They will accept it.
***Inside the packet you mail in you will include:
***Starting witness affidavit.
***Ending witness affidavit.
***Copy of all gas receipts.
(make sure they are accurate with time and address or make a note)
***Your log with stops addresses, time, time zone, and time and location of any stop that lasts over 20 minutes.

Also it says to get a dated receipt for each corner so does that mean each time I change roads I have to get off and get a receipt for gas to show that I switched roads?

***No. You are making a 1-way trip. Get a receipt at beginning and end and every time you stop for gas and that will suffice. Again, verify address is on the receipt and the time is accurate.

Here is the route I will be taking. Anyone done this route or know of a better one?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dame...d43.643002!3e0
See my answers to individual questions above.

The secret to a good route is effiency. Ride the fastest interstates, avoid cities if you can, start your ride, end your ride and get gas as close to interstate exits as you can.
Make your stops short. No more than 10 minutes from hitting an exit to getting back on the entrance ramp. Strive for 7 minutes. You can't ride fast enough to make up for slow stops.

Is there a reason you are choosing to start the ride at midnight?
You are going to get a crash course in sleep patterns. (pardon the pun)
It might be better to start your ride closer to the regular time you wake up (5-6 am).

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-22-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:43 PM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
See my answers to individual questions above.

The secret to a good route is effiency. Ride the fastest interstates, avoid cities if you can, start your ride, end your ride and get gas as close to interstate exits as you can.
Make your stops short. No more than 10 minutes from hitting an exit to getting back on the entrance ramp. Strive for 7 minutes. You can't ride fast enough to make up for slow stops.

Is there a reason you are choosing to start the ride at midnight?
You are going to get a crash course in sleep patterns. (pardon the pun)
It might be better to start your ride closer to the regular time you wake up (5-6 am).

I'm a shift worker and work weird hours all the time. 0700-1900 and 0300-1500 a couple times a week. I figured the I'd ride the longest night section while I'm fresh and in familiar areas. My projected end is just off an exit off I90 maybe a 1/2 mile.

Witnesses at gas stations at the start and finish, is that the norm?

Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

My wife usually signs my start affidavit. I've had gas station attendants, friends, sherrifs patrolmen, motel desk clerks etc sign my ending witness sheet. The easiest people to get to sign are police. Especially if they are motorcycle cops. They typically know what the IBA is and are happy to sign.

The only time I had anyone turn me down signing a witness form was a guy from California on a motorcycle in Sturgis. I thought he would be a sure thing, but he wasn't. After he saw 2 gas station attendants sign he asked to sign. I told him I had what I needed and rode on.