Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Coeur d'Alene and Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Another (probably dumb) question...do we need Canadian money or can we get by with US? I ask cause we stopped at Victoria on a cruise, and everybody accepted US dollars. I realize that was a bit of a tourist trap there also though.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:55 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Intense in a good way or bad way? LOL
Grab your map. If you're going to stay at the excellent Konkleville Motel, in the morning you could take that P1 road out of Orofino and work your way to St. Marie's that way. As for the intense comment above, could be he meant intense in 2 ways. 97 has some nice views of beautiful Lake CdA along with many twists and turns as it pretty much follows the lake's crooked shore. 3 is nice, too. Fewer twisties and it puts you out on the east side of 4th of July Pass. No big deal, just ride west over to CdA. A nice day ride out of CdA is 95 north to Sandpoint and then 200 east into Montana and down to Thompson Falls. Maybe get a bite to eat at Minnie's and then head back to CdA over Thompson Pass (MT 471) to Murray to Kingston and then west to CdA. Instead of lunch at Minnie's you could just head up MT 471 and stop at that bar and grill on the left. Pretty good place. Think it's called The Coyote. Only problem I see with all this is it's going to be tough going back to Boise

Old 07-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Oops anmost forgot. The Konkolville motel doesn't do the steak thing on Sunday.
And most places will take US$ although taking a few Canuck bucks wouldn't hurt.
Another couple of places to eat are Franks steakhouse in Cranbrook and the Hoodoos pub (dinner only I think) on 93/95 about an hour north of Cranbrook.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 AM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Coeur d'Alene is beautiful. 95 will bring you right into the heart of downtown. Just before coming into town you'll cross a bridge over the river. Take the turn off to the right as soon as you cross over and follow the road down past the resort. That will put you on Sherman. There are a lot of cool bars with some great food.

The ride down Lake Coeur d'Alene Drive is pretty cool too. It's only about five to ten minutes, but worth a look. Just follow Sherman to just before the interstate and hang a right.

The ride around the lake is awesome as well. If you want to spend some time in CdA, feel free to message me with questions about some rides. This is home to me.

If you're staying for a couple of nights, you'll also want to check out Cruisers in Post Falls/Stateline. It's a cool bar and very biker friendly.