Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Northern Ontario road conditions

Old 07-27-2014, 07:30 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Northern Ontario road conditions

I'll be heading toward the Timmins area next week and was wondering about the road conditions on Rt. 101 into Wawa. Is 101 well maintained or filled with frost heaves, tar snakes and pot holes. I could loop up and over on Rt.11 but would rather stay closer to the north shore.

Any favorites on places to eat etc.? Thanks.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:04 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
I'll be heading toward the Timmins area next week and was wondering about the road conditions on Rt. 101 into Wawa. Is 101 well maintained or filled with frost heaves, tar snakes and pot holes. I could loop up and over on Rt.11 but would rather stay closer to the north shore.

Any favorites on places to eat etc.? Thanks.
Haven't been up that way for a couple of years now, but every time that I went up that way last the roads have been great. From Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa the scenery if Awesome. The only thing that I can forewarn you about is that be prepared for higher gas prices. It is quite a bit more expensive when you get further north.

Can't help you on places to eat though as I don't remember where we ate. Sorry.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

Not sure what shore you are referring to as neither route is on the water. 17 runs along the
Lake Superior shoreline from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay. Excellent views as Ultracan stated. Gas stations are far and few and the weather can change quickly.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:16 AM
joe98
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ultracan
Haven't been up that way for a couple of years now, but every time that I went up that way last the roads have been great. From Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa the scenery if Awesome. The only thing that I can forewarn you about is that be prepared for higher gas prices. It is quite a bit more expensive when you get further north.

Can't help you on places to eat though as I don't remember where we ate. Sorry.

Both excellent points mentioned. I'll add to that; lots of large wild life here. Such as deer, and moose. Usually, tend to stay away from the road sides in the summer, but they can be unpredictable and dangerous. It definitely is beautiful countryside though, enjoy your trip., and ride safe.

Joe

Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

Thanks guys. I'll be riding 17 out of Ottawa, then 11 then back to 17 and into Thunder Bay. 101 looked better than 631 for cutting down to Superior.

Joe, living in NoVA I dodge deer every day and bear whenever I'm in the mountains. I did pick up the name Buzzard after smacking a seagull in Maine then a Turkey Buzzard on the BRP. I would really hate to hit that goose in Ultracan's photo.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

Lake Superior Provincial Park on 17 North is a nice stop for a look at the Pictographs carved in the shoreline rocks. Keep your head up for the Blue Goose when passing through Wawa.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm riding 101 from 129 to Wawa this weekend. When I did the same road last year there were no problems with the road.

As far as places to eat, there's nothing on 101 between Chapleau and Wawa. I would look at Trip Advisor for Wawa as the one diner we ate at in town was terrible.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:22 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by joe98
Both excellent points mentioned. I'll add to that; lots of large wild life here. Such as deer, and moose. Usually, tend to stay away from the road sides in the summer, but they can be unpredictable and dangerous. It definitely is beautiful countryside though, enjoy your trip., and ride safe.

Joe
I was talking with my brother who is in Thunder Bay now and was in Manitouwadge and Marathon before that. He says that he has not seen a moose in years. There is something about moose and deer won't co exist. That being said. Make sure that you do keep your eyes open for either, or fox, or bear or pocupine....etc.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Lenaitch
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw the thread so you may have already left. I did 101 from Hwy 11 to 17 last fall. The highway is in good shape with minimal traffic (and minimal anything else) but that's my kind of trip. I stopped for lunch in Folyet - Northern Lights, I think - on left going into village. Good basic fare. Only anything on highway is Timmins, Folyet (sort of), Chapleau and Wawa. I used to live in Wawa but am reluctant to recommend restaurants because things change and I usually stay with friends. Hwy 17 to TBay is spectacular especially west of Marathon. Just remember that most northern Ontario towns are one-industry resource-based that got pretty beat up over the last few years. I've been riding through the north pretty much every year for the past 5 years and can't recall the last time I saw a moose but they are there. Your are right that 101 is a much better route to 17 from the east than 631. Enjoy your ride.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

Well, It's a couple of weeks later so I'll answer my own question in case anyone else is heading north. 101 from Timmins to right around Chapleau has two very long sections of around 30 miles that are quite beat up. Frost heaves and tar snakes that beat you up at speed. The whole time I was wishing for my 1150 G/S and seven inches of suspension.

Then, the last hundred miles or so it was silk smooth. Set the cruise control and let my beat up, arthritic wrists take a break.

Ultracan warned about the gas prices. It cost around $6 more per tankful, say 1/3 more. That was a deal because the food ran about 50% more, and a $75 dollar motel room only cost $150.

I had great weather and saw some places I haven't seen in 40 years. Glad I went, but it was pricey. A lot of rider's doing the circle tour and you should too. Put it on your bucket list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Northern Ontario road conditions