Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

BRP in the rain - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:17 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BRP in the rain - is it worth it?

Every year my wife wants to go to the beach (I hate sand in my crotch!) for our summer vacation and I oblige. This year we're doing what I want to do gosh darnit!! For months I've been planning on hitting the BRP this summer for our vacation. I will only have 4 days due to my work schedule and it starts this Wednesday and goes through the weekend. My biggest concern is the weather forecast is calling for rain in the area the whole time. I'm putting a new front tire on my bike tomorrow and replacing the wheel bearings. Other than that, it's solid. I'm going to pick up some new rain gear before I leave and my wife has a set that will work fine. Is it worth using my vacation to ride 4 days in the rain or should I scrap those plans and ride to the beach like we do EVERY year?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 AM
Rockarosa
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on my experience last year, I would go to the beach. When it rains the fog will set in and you are lucky to see 20 feet in front of you. The fog settles in and the overlooks are foggy also. All in all it's just dangerous and I was afraid of someone coming from behind and running us over.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 AM
xmavrick
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BRP in the rain

I rode it last week down to the Dragon. It rained off and on most of the way down, mostly thunder cells that dump a lot of water in a short time and then the clouds move back in. As the previous commenter stated the overlooks will be fogged in and yes getting hit from the rear is a real concern! If you decide to go I would recommend a high visibility rain suit and have lots of layers of clothes under it. I was ill prepared for the temperature drop when the storms moved in! What ever you decide, enjoy the trip now or later its a must do ride!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's funny about this rain and fog thing. The BRP is best south of Asheville. Years ago I found that I rode around 15 mph faster in the rain and light fog on that section than on a sunny day. On the clear, sunny days you could see the cliffs that would kill you, should you blast off the roadway and catch some major air.

With the fog hiding the drop-offs I felt safer. Weird huh?

Riding in the rain is no big deal on the BRP. It's really part of the game. Beware of the fog. It could be a light mist, then around a bend and you slam into a white wall.

A few years back I ran into a dumping rain on the west side of the ridge, then through a tunnel and into sun on the east side. Back and forth this went from Cherokee to Asheville more than a dozen times until the storm made it over the top and dumped on us the rest of the day. It was one of the most fun rides I've ever made. Wet, but fun.

BTW, pack some warm gear. Rain at 5,000 feet can be freakin' cold. I never leave home without my electric vest.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

We are going next week, staying only on the upper portions in Virginia.

Rain is part of the game in mountains. Be prepared and enjoy the ride. It is still better than sitting on the beach.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

It`s your turn. Don`t even think about the beach.
If you don`t go, you will be miserable the whole time.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

I've done the Smokies ( BRP ) many times and you can be sure that if it rains, and it usually does, you're in for some "smoke" ( fog ) that can severely limit your vision. On good days the fog ( which is usually every morning ) lifts early which gives you time to get up grab some breakfast and get things organized for the days ride. However, on the rainy days, I've seen it so thick that you're almost unable to see the stripes on the road. If the weather forecast calls for rain most of the day for the days you're planning on being there I'd change dates or vacation in a different area.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,300 Likes on 2,157 Posts

Time for both!.....you didn't say where in east N.C. you are but.....take 40 west to 52 or 77 north....go to BRP....ride it south to the end......40 east back to beach........ha.....or vice versa depending on weather......

Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got to know the secret put on your rain gear while riding the BRP and chances are it won't rain, but take off your rain gear you are gonna ride in the rain. Wife and I did that and we had a great time. The fog does get thick though but as you move from one side of the mountains to the other the fog clears up and then as you cross over to the other side your back in the fog. That is just part of the Blue Ridge. It is definitely worth doing though.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 PM
STARMAN223
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
It's funny about this rain and fog thing. The BRP is best south of Asheville. Years ago I found that I rode around 15 mph faster in the rain and light fog on that section than on a sunny day. On the clear, sunny days you could see the cliffs that would kill you, should you blast off the roadway and catch some major air.

With the fog hiding the drop-offs I felt safer. Weird huh?

Riding in the rain is no big deal on the BRP. It's really part of the game. Beware of the fog. It could be a light mist, then around a bend and you slam into a white wall.

A few years back I ran into a dumping rain on the west side of the ridge, then through a tunnel and into sun on the east side. Back and forth this went from Cherokee to Asheville more than a dozen times until the storm made it over the top and dumped on us the rest of the day. It was one of the most fun rides I've ever made. Wet, but fun.

BTW, pack some warm gear. Rain at 5,000 feet can be freakin' cold. I never leave home without my electric vest.

happened to me and a friend a couple years back. we got soaked riding and sat around the campfire drying our leathers and cloths getting trashed. sucked at the time but the memories we had are priceless!! we still laugh about it and have ridden the parkway since with rain gear!!
doing it again on Columbus day weekend. its an annual ride.
this time of year I wouldn't be layering cloths under the rain suit though like someone said.

Quick Reply: BRP in the rain - is it worth it?