Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

MT evans, Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts
Default MT evans, Colorado

Anyone ride MT Evans to the top. If so what bike did you take? How was the weather and the experience?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 PM
tech7734
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, about twenty years ago, on a 72 Triumph Daytona 500.
Wife and I got to the top. I put the kickstand down. Got off the bike. Immediately got lightheaded, and thought I was gonna pass out.
I told the wife "Hop on cause we're leaving...NOW.
I couldn't even start her up, I thought I was gonna fall over, so I started coasting down.
Got about 1000 ft down the road and that was just lower enough in altitude for me to get my bearings back.

Anyway, yeah, had a great time, memories...

Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 PM
old v twin
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mt. Evans

Week of July 4th, 2011, afternoon, hit cloud cover a mile in, riding the Electra Glide.

Made the run up, fun riding through the clouds. Couldn't see a thing from the top, did get picture at sign however.

Started raining, left quickly. Got below the restroom area and the ice storm was fierce. Finally made another hail beaten hairpin, 14 degree slope, hail was two to three inches deep.

Got stopped a 1/4 mile later, ABS was working, pulled over on a very slim shoulder. Lightning storm picked up, being the tallest thing standing above the tree line seemed like a bad idea. Crawled into a boulder field, waited it out for a couple of hours.

Headed down about dark, hail everywhere still, just enough rain to make slush.

Got to Idaho Springs and stopped for the night.

Wore out, tired and tense, best 3 bucks I spent that trip was the entrance to the park for the run up.

Next day across North Texas, temps were pushing 115 degrees.

Liked the hail storm better.

Do it, you will have a new experience. Best bet is to do it early in the AM versus the PM.

Last edited by old v twin; 07-28-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:29 PM
goofey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode it last year in July on a ultra classic.it was a tense ride but worth it. I did get a little light headed at the top but didn't stay up there long. Weather was cool but good for us.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Isalgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
Anyone ride MT Evans to the top. If so what bike did you take? How was the weather and the experience?
Three of us rode up Mt evans late June last year I on my street glide and my buddies both had Ultras. It was a little cold for us Floridian but manageable. The ride was awesome and truly unforgetable, I have done Mt Washington in NH and that was scary and slow here you can go much faster. The curves on Mt Evan are sweeping and the road surface is pretty good. Go for it you'll love it.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 PM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I road up mt Evans and pikes peak 2 weeks ago. Mt Evans was a little more intense. I would start early, the later in the day the chances of storms increase. I think it was about 4 hours round trip from Denver but there is road work on i70 that will cause delays from the east.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Did Mt Evans last year first week of June, gorgeous day, no clouds, pure blue...nice road no problems, deep breaths as oxygen is low....long deep breaths need to store up the oxygen.....not too fast though.

Loved it.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My son and I rode to the top in '07. I was riding a ST1300 and he was riding a FJR1300. The road is good and there's no problem riding to the top. Great scenery. It's cold at the top.

Here's a link with pics I took of that ride.
http://txharleyrider.com/trips/colo-...lo-2007-day-6/

Old 07-29-2014, 02:19 PM
cvfd17
Cruiser

Road it early august 2011. Nice weather, great sceneries, watch out for goats, light headed at the top. Stayed 10 minutes and headed down.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I rode it earlier this month. Weather was great! We could see for days! Ride is a bit intense but the three of us made it. BIL on a wing, friend on a 2010 Ultra and us on our 13 CVO Ultra.

Road was rough in places but nothing terrible. Just keep your head about you and watch for the other guy. The girls did rename it death mountain though! LOL They were not real enthuased with the ride up!

Quick Reply: MT evans, Colorado