Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

11 day tour starting this Sunday. Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:22 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just out that way a couple of weeks ago. Wish I was still there. Some sick roads and awesome sites. You're going to have a great time!

If the timing works out, take her for lunch at Riva Grill on the Lake, located at the marina in Lake Tahoe. Good eats and nice view.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bballkking1
Its just some 200 to 400 mile day trips strung together. Wake up, ride, sleep, repeat. Enjoy.

That's pretty much it, wife and I leave in less than two weeks for a 4 week ride across the the northern states and up to Jasper Alberta. She gets a little overwhelmed when she looks at the map and whole trip in its entirety. Been telling her its one day at a time and each day is a new adventure, riding through areas we have never been in before. No jitters here, right, we have packed twice already to make sure we can take we need, now its just waiting for the day to get here.
Enjoy your trip, ain't nothing better than being on two wheels.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:07 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

By the look of your sig pic, you've done an awful lot of touring. Not sure if this is the first time you've experienced pre-trip jitters? It 's interesting that you post this, because I was going to post a similar thread a couple of times prior to long rides, but was a little shy in doing so. I just got back from a cross country trip a week ago and for a good one month + prior, I had the jitters. Pretty much the same thing prior to any other long rides. Despite my nerves, every trip thus far has been nothing short of SPECTACULAR! I'll bet your trip to the Northwest will be the same. Forge forward and have a great time. Please let us know how it goes!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for comments. Good to see what I am feeling is not unique. I love touring on my Harleys and have a good woman who shares my passion, especially for extended trips. 55k on my StreetGlide, all touring miles. Another 65k on my 1999 FXR2. 5 states left to ride. That last one will be a be a real grizzly! Portlandia

Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Crazy. We are heading north on vacation tomorrow. We should be at crater lake friday afternoon. Destination is north of Yakima Washington by saterday.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:05 AM
72Norton
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just left crater lake today and rode to reno. Was in crater lake campground last 2 days. I was only going to stay 1 night but the ride in on the 138 made me stay 2 nights so I could do it again. I'm 7 days and 1700 miles in on a trip from LA up the coast all the way to coos bay and then across to crater lake and I have to say 138 from Roseburg to Crater Lake is the best yet. About 70 miles of pure bliss. Wide lanes, perfect blacktop, sweeping corner after sweeping corner following a picture perfect river and then climbing all the way to about 6000 feet at crater lake's entrance. And almost zero traffic. It really doesn't get better in my book. I even bought a $37 ticket to take a boat tour thru crater lake yesterday and said f-it and just road 138 all day. Oh and the 97 is a p.o.s. I spent all day passing big rigs on it and the 395 today. Good luck on your trip. All those worries will be gone when you get rolling.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 AM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Getting my gear ready for first motorcycle camping trip. I envy you that you have a riding partner. Mine will be a solo trip as my wife won't get on my bike to go around the block let alone sleep overnight in a tent.

Have fun and stay safe. Keep your eyes open for the big hairy guy.

Attached Thumbnails 11 day tour starting this Sunday.  Jitters-colorado-2014-027.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Make sure to share all the pictures you get....especially of the hairy guy !!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Hell Fire Hog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes beware of the Bigfoot!

The "Rogue Band" Bigfoot are scattered from the Crater national forest through the Gifford Pinchot and all along the Oregon / Washington coast. There are also several stragglers down in the redwood forest. Bigfoot avoid the Seattle area like most other sensible creatures.

The most important things to know about them is that they love beer. All the campgrounds have "beer boxes" for you to put your beer in so the bigfoot cant drink all your beer while your asleep. If they get ahold of your beer they'll most likely want to joy ride your bike after they catch a buzz. All the other campers get pissed when they blast around bliping the throttle and drag racing their stolen Harleys (they dont like rice grinders either) through the campgrounds in the middle of the night. The worst part of that is trying to get all the hair off your bike the next morning especially if a bigdude brings a biggal with him to go beer boxin and they both get on the bike. After that they always eat all your food.

The bigfoot in the Redwood forest/Humboldt Co. area dont drink and generally dont leave the area. You can smell them before they get to your campground due to a special kind of herb that grows out there. They're not a rowdy group, they're actually pretty mellow and easy going. You still need to use the beer boxes for your food because they will get hungry in the middle of the night and seek out free food. They have hair twice as long as their northern relatives and sometimes they weave it and tie knots in their hair so it looks like long clumps of hair. They also like blipin Harleys through the campgrounds at night but prefer to have burnout contests instead of drag races.

Dont forget to lock up your food & beer and hide the keys to your bike before going to sleep.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:43 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hell Fire Hog
Yes beware of the Bigfoot!

The "Rogue Band" Bigfoot are scattered from the Crater national forest through the Gifford Pinchot and all along the Oregon / Washington coast. There are also several stragglers down in the redwood forest. Bigfoot avoid the Seattle area like most other sensible creatures.

The most important things to know about them is that they love beer. All the campgrounds have "beer boxes" for you to put your beer in so the bigfoot cant drink all your beer while your asleep. If they get ahold of your beer they'll most likely want to joy ride your bike after they catch a buzz. All the other campers get pissed when they blast around bliping the throttle and drag racing their stolen Harleys (they dont like rice grinders either) through the campgrounds in the middle of the night. The worst part of that is trying to get all the hair off your bike the next morning especially if a bigdude brings a biggal with him to go beer boxin and they both get on the bike. After that they always eat all your food.

The bigfoot in the Redwood forest/Humboldt Co. area dont drink and generally dont leave the area. You can smell them before they get to your campground due to a special kind of herb that grows out there. They're not a rowdy group, they're actually pretty mellow and easy going. You still need to use the beer boxes for your food because they will get hungry in the middle of the night and seek out free food. They have hair twice as long as their northern relatives and sometimes they weave it and tie knots in their hair so it looks like long clumps of hair. They also like blipin Harleys through the campgrounds at night but prefer to have burnout contests instead of drag races.

Dont forget to lock up your food & beer and hide the keys to your bike before going to sleep.
This is pretty much what I think is causing my "jitter" !