Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

SE Louisiana to Pacific Northwest

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Great thread Fireax. Keep it coming. Two years ago we were staying in Sisters, Oregon and rode over to Florence for lunch. Really cooled down and was damp as we approached the coast.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:39 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Great eye for some beautiful and interesting pictures.

Puts real meaning in the old advertisement:

See the USA in your Chevrolet .......or Harley!!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hellofadeal, your living the dream bro. Beautiful pics of some beautiful places, you are blessed. Enjoy it for sure and keep us updated. 😃 stay safe

Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Had to end the trip a little more suddenly than I had hoped and head pretty much streight back home. A little disappointing but after 3 wonderful months on the road I can't complain. Left Portland, Oregon October 15 and arrived home in Madisonville, Louisiana October 20 . Had hoped to spend some time in Washington State and more time at Moab, Az (Canyonlands NP, Arches NP) but had to come on back to Louisiana to take care of a few personal problems. Kinda looked like the rains were starting to settle in on the Pacific Coast anyway.

This was certainly a Wonderful trip. Call me a Candy-a$$ if you want but I really enjoyed that ToyHauler . (1) The July "Waltz Across Texas" at 115 deg F would have been No Fun on the Sporty, (2) it was Very Nice on the West Coast to be able to sit out a rainy or foggy day with all the comforts of home and wait patiently for the good weather for that perfect ride, (3) if you can live on the road for 3 months in a tent I freely admit you are a better man then I and (4) it worked out extremely well when the clutch gave out on the Sporty in Rockaway Beach, Oregon to just pick it up and carry it to Paradise Harley in Tigard. They got the new clutch in it for me that afternoon, but it sure was nice to just camp in their parking lot for the evening, enjoy a few of those West Coast beers while I waited, and leave after the Portland traffic settled down and my head cleared up. Damn. 8% ABV on Pliny the Elder and Lagunitis Hop Stoopid kinda sneaks up on you when you are acustomed to 4.5 for Abita Amber. But those two beers are Some Kinda Good !!!

Seems like I should have gotten more than 24,000 miles on that clutch, but I have been pretty hard on it with those gravel road hill climbs in Arkansas and California. It was getting Real Hard to find neutral after Ship Mountain. By the time I got to Rockaway I had to shut it down to get in Neutral, and it was slipping so bad coming up the hill in Geribaldi I did not think I would make it.

Had to save Washington State for next year, but that just gives me something to look forward to. Meantime, pretty nice to be able to ride All Winter Long here in sunny SE Louisiana while Washington soaks up their 100 inches of rain a year. And, smoking a few Louisiana Redfish and Oysters is pretty pleasant activity. And OH YEAH! (5) on the ToyHauler! Got me home with a case of Lagunitis and 2 sixes of Pliny!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:11 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

I enjoyed the ride. you definitely want to hit Washington before October.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:59 AM
mister o
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you've got the eye

thanks for the outstanding pix and tales, fireax. just the right combination. would read your threads anytime.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:25 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireax
..Had to save Washington State for next year, but that just gives me something to look forward to...
Great thread! I've got a daughter in Seattle and really love that part of the country. We visit a couple of times a year -- so far, always fly up. A bike trip to Seattle is high on my bucket list! Maybe next year I'll just extend my Sturgis trip ... <g>

Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Very nice adventure, thanks for sharing,

Last edited by Gwaxley; 11-24-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-24-2014, 09:17 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

As all I can say is Thank You for sharing the adventure and pics that most of us here only dream about,it's folks like you that take the time to share your experience not only through your eye's but your vision also (if you understand what I mean) and for that I Thank You again,Mike.Digging your way of traveling also

Old 11-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Dirtbagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fireax,
That was a treat to 'ride' along with you. Absolutely wonderful pictures, and a wonderful experience. I love the way that you really enjoy and get to soak it all in. Makes me want to go! That's the best thing about motorcycle trips, if you ask me. Looking forward to more of these!

Thanks!

MotoForever!