Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Walsenburg, CO to Colorado Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:53 PM
dnespolo
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Walsenburg, CO to Colorado Springs

I'm going to see the Broncos Saturday and thinking to ride to Colorado Springs Friday and staying for the night at my cousin. I'll be leaving from Albuquerque area going trough Taos, Questa to Walsenburg. From Walsenburg to Colorado Springs is it worth to take 69 up to 96 trough Florence and then Springs? Just trying to stay away from the freeway.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 PM
old v twin
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OK roads

That will work well, certainly keep you off the slab.

Nice views, fairly relaxed overall. Fuel when you see it.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Unless there is something in Walsenburg that you need to do, you could go on up the Gun Barrel from Alamosa to Salida then across to Canyon City, then 115 to Springs.

The ride from Salida to Canyon City is nice and there is a good chance of seeing some big horns along the Arkansas River.

Bill

Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Here are two routes; one will take longer but is more scenic: 1) One of the more popular rides in CO if you've never been on it before would be to get on Hwy 165 at Colorado City (about 20 miles north of Walsenburg) and ride up it to Bishop's Castle. You'll want to get off the bike and see the castle. From there head north to Hwy 69 at McKenzie Junction. Turn left to Westcliffe...you'll be on Hwy 96 here but you'll turn north on Hwy 69 in Westcliffe. Head north to Hwy 50...ride east almost to the Royal Gorge...look for Hwy 9 on your left. Take Hwy 9 several miles to the 'High Park Road'....a really sweet ride with lots of long turns. This road'll take you into Cripple Creek...each lunch at 'The Creek'...from there head north to Divide and turn east on Hwy 24 into Colorado Springs. Route #2: Instead of turning north on Hwy 9...continue east through Canon City to Penrose...turn north on Hwy 115 which'll take you into Colorado Springs. Except for the ride up Hwy 164 and the Castle this drive is pretty but shorter...it'll put you into Colorado Springs about noon. If you have all day and want some fine mountain driving please consider route #1.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 AM
dnespolo
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Here are two routes; one will take longer but is more scenic: 1) One of the more popular rides in CO if you've never been on it before would be to get on Hwy 165 at Colorado City (about 20 miles north of Walsenburg) and ride up it to Bishop's Castle. You'll want to get off the bike and see the castle. From there head north to Hwy 69 at McKenzie Junction. Turn left to Westcliffe...you'll be on Hwy 96 here but you'll turn north on Hwy 69 in Westcliffe. Head north to Hwy 50...ride east almost to the Royal Gorge...look for Hwy 9 on your left. Take Hwy 9 several miles to the 'High Park Road'....a really sweet ride with lots of long turns. This road'll take you into Cripple Creek...each lunch at 'The Creek'...from there head north to Divide and turn east on Hwy 24 into Colorado Springs. Route #2: Instead of turning north on Hwy 9...continue east through Canon City to Penrose...turn north on Hwy 115 which'll take you into Colorado Springs. Except for the ride up Hwy 164 and the Castle this drive is pretty but shorter...it'll put you into Colorado Springs about noon. If you have all day and want some fine mountain driving please consider route #1.
I went with your suggestion number one the only different I did it on the way back (friday the weather wasn't right) so on the opposite way.
I left Colorado Spring around 8.45 am and got home at 7.30 pm. The Colorado Spring to Colorado City part was very nice ride I did like a lot.
Thanks Wiskers for the suggestion.