Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

International Falls to Thunder Bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:25 PM
weezer_nd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default International Falls to Thunder Bay

Is there any must ride roads or sites to see between these two cities?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I rode 11 a few years back. A lot of woods, not many houses, little traffic, sit back and enjoy.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

We are headed to I Falls and then to Kenora and then across to Thunder Bay on the 18th of sept, report back on your trip!

Have a great ride!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Streetin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDW1 We just did Bemidji to Kenora to Thunder Bay then back to Minnesota.
We saw three cars from Bemidji to the border. Traffic from Kenora to Thunder Bay was good too but the OPP had a speed trap set on our route. We didn't get caught but another biker did. 62 in a 55 was a $238 fine. Not quite sure why so expensive. Kenora to Thunder Bay is 90 km all the way.

Weezer, Highway 1 across northern Minn. is nice but you might be all alone, except for the logging trucks and deer.
North of Duluth there was quite a bit of construction. Sections were even closed off for days and traffic was detoured. I hope by now that is all done though.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:14 PM
HDFLHX
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hwy 1 is complete....beautiful road, took it from hwy 61 across to hwy 71 last fall, all fresh pavement...nice scenic road.

Not the most direct route, but south out of international falls on hwy 53 to hwy 1 to the north shore, hwy 61 north to Thunder Bay....crossing the border at Grand Portage.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:20 PM
weezer_nd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

International Falls to Thunder Bay on highway 11, is pretty much like any northern Minnesota highway, except very little traffic. Once I got out on the highway I maybe met a dozen vehicles until just outside of Thunder Bay.
The border guard going into Canada was very cool. A few questions about weapons, and how long I was going to be in Canada. I told him I was just out for a ride, he said "cool, ride safe".
The guard coming back to the states was kinda of a dick. The idea of just riding through Canada for " something to do" was lost on him. He wanted to know why I entered where I did (I. Falls) if I met with anyone, if I procured anything, if I was a club member. I was waiting for him to ask if was running drugs, but he never did.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer_nd
International Falls to Thunder Bay on highway 11, is pretty much like any northern Minnesota highway, except very little traffic. Once I got out on the highway I maybe met a dozen vehicles until just outside of Thunder Bay.
The border guard going into Canada was very cool. A few questions about weapons, and how long I was going to be in Canada. I told him I was just out for a ride, he said "cool, ride safe".
The guard coming back to the states was kinda of a dick. The idea of just riding through Canada for " something to do" was lost on him. He wanted to know why I entered where I did (I. Falls) if I met with anyone, if I procured anything, if I was a club member. I was waiting for him to ask if was running drugs, but he never did.
I'd love to ride around Lake Superior but according to Canada my 2012 DUI conviction makes me unworthy of a journey north of the border. Pay your dues and still get punished. A shame...