Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mississippi ride suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:25 PM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mississippi ride suggestions

I'm thinking about a ride through Mississippi in mid to late October. 3 day trip. We'd be leaving from north Alabama on Friday morning. Thinking to ride the Natchez Trace to Natchez on Friday, stay the night and then spend Saturday and Sunday headed home. Looking for input on places to go (or avoid) and things to do, good routes back home.

TIA

Eric

Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

If you are near Lorman (just south of Port Gibson) you could jump over to Hwy 61 and eat lunch at the Old Country Store Restaurant. We rode over there today for lunch. They claim to have the "Worlds Best Fried Chicken". I don't know about the best, but it was good. Kind of pricey for lunch buffet. Kind of a tourist thing. I have heard Roux 61 in Natchez is a good place to eat as well as Big Mamas.

Watch your gas.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 AM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I love riding the Natchez Trace and have been doing it for many years. I will be heading down again in Oct. One of my favorites stops to eat is at "French Camp" about 10 miles south of Jeff Busby. We normally camp in Natchez or just across the river. You can always find us at Bowies Tavern watching a game.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:16 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

If you a history fan, Vicksburg is worth some time. Longwood is different, in Natchez. Windsor ruins off the trace is cool, a bit off the road.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 AM
vulcanater
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching this thread. I'm planning on riding the Natchez Trace soon.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Lots of history along the trace. Parts of the original trace along the way. One is at Rocky Springs. Off the Trace: Lots of Antebellum Homes in Natchez that you can pay to visit. One operated by the NPS that is free. The buggy rides are pretty neat at Natchez. They provide a lot of history of the town. The Windsor ruins are pretty neat. There is a little museum at Grand Gulf near Port Gibson. The church at Port Gibson with the hand pointing to heaven. Vicksburg as mentioned. There is a museum in the old courthouse downtown that use to be pretty nice.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:40 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
... I have heard Roux 61 in Natchez is a good place to eat ...
+1 for Roux 61. Also, if you like BBQ, check out the Pig Out Inn.

http://www.pigoutinnbbq.com/

Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

If you're not a history buff, The Vicksburg Battlefield may change that. Really recommend stopping in the visitors center first to read up on the siege of Vicksburg that was pivotal in the war.....then go out on that loop and check the Union and Confederate memorials and you can try to imagine what that experience must have been like.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:37 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
If you're not a history buff, The Vicksburg Battlefield may change that. Really recommend stopping in the visitors center first to read up on the siege of Vicksburg that was pivotal in the war.....then go out on that loop and check the Union and Confederate memorials and you can try to imagine what that experience must have been like.
My family really liked the gunboat exhibit, also. We will go back.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Bwelsh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DO NOT stay at the Quality Inn in Natchez! We stayed there in August after riding the Trace. Neighborhood is sketchy at best, all the restaurants are closed and boarded up (we ordered pizza). The bathroom was moldy; ok I can live with that, but the carpeting was wet. Yes, wet! Obviously the room had flooded in the recent past. You could see where they tried to vacuum it up but it just didn't work. Sorry I can't tell you a good place to stay.

Also, on the Trace, watch for deer. It's a great, relaxing ride. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Mississippi ride suggestions