Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New trip Oregon to Yosemite and Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Dirtbagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New trip Oregon to Yosemite and Tahoe

Linda and I are headed out again. This time from Oregon to Yosemite and back thru Tahoe. I'm not 100% sure of our routes yet, but I'll post them here for sure. I'm really looking forward to the ride from Yosemite through Tioga Pass and on to South Lake Tahoe. I was wondering about options in that part, but Tioga Pass seems good and I haven't done that on my bike yet. Long ago, I drove that pass and remember it getting pretty cold. I don't think it'll get very cold this time.

Here's my tentative southbound route.

And my tentative northbound route.

/Rod

Old 09-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tioga in September? I donnknow. Bet it will be pretty chilly. I did Ebbetts and Sonora two weeks ago and wore thermy bottoms, a jacket, and a sweaterand I wascomfortable. I am on the Russian River now riding around onnthe coast, and a jacket and sweater feel pretty goodin the morning fog. Last time I did Tioga was November 19, 2010 and the lakes at the top were frozen solid by November.

Owen's Valley was Wonderful last month if you are coming back that way, but once again the really nice riding is up the canyons of the Sierras from the East side. Very cool above 7,000 feet even in August.

You are coming down on I-5? I am on my way up (to Rockaway) on 101. Luvin 1 / 101, think I will stay off of I-5.

Last edited by Fireax; 09-09-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take some weather clothing for the top it's been doing all kinds of weather up there. Thirteen and Ten years ago I drove the bike in snow in Sep. on top but that is odd rain is the norm in the afternoon.
Have you looked at Lassen on the way back

Old 09-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Dirtbagger
Advanced

Thanks Fireax and. Freebirdsride1, I think I'll be checking the temps and road conditions for sure before finalizing the route. I'll bring my cold gear but don't really want to go through ice on the bike. I wish I had more time southbound to take the coast down... Next time .

Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Dirtbagger
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fireax
Tioga in September? I donnknow. Bet it will be pretty chilly. I did Ebbetts and Sonora two weeks ago and wore thermy bottoms, a jacket, and a sweaterand I wascomfortable. I am on the Russian River now riding around onnthe coast, and a jacket and sweater feel pretty goodin the morning fog. Last time I did Tioga was November 19, 2010 and the lakes at the top were frozen solid by November.

Owen's Valley was Wonderful last month if you are coming back that way, but once again the really nice riding is up the canyons of the Sierras from the East side. Very cool above 7,000 feet even in August.

You are coming down on I-5? I am on my way up (to Rockaway) on 101. Luvin 1 / 101, think I will stay off of I-5.
Hey Fireax, I grew up with vacations to the Owens valley just about every year! Love it over there. Looks like the weather and temp should be OK, we'll see.

I am thinking of doing 89 from the 395.

Anybody rode 207 into Tahoe (Stateline) thru Kingsbury?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Dirtbagger
Advanced

We got a late start this afternoon, but made it to Mt. Shasta for the night. On our way! The smoke wasn't too bad, but we'll see what it looks like tomorrow as we head down the mountain.

Very nice ride for the first day. Everything worked and it seems we didn't forget anything! No worries if we did, we're easy, but in actuality, we Always forget stuff.

Tomorrow we head down some of HWY 49 to Angels Camp.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely take. A. Ride through Lassen, it is beautiful. And the hike up to Bumpas Hell is worth the time.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Dirtbagger
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Definitely take. A. Ride through Lassen, it is beautiful. And the hike up to Bumpas Hell is worth the time.
Hey Dharn55, we did Lassen through Hwy 89 and over the summit at Bumpas Hell. Well what a great ride. So glad that we did that! The air was cool too (bonus!). The Ranger at the gate gave us a park ticket gratis. That was nice of her! Of course, taking 89 through Lassen made our plans change pretty much... but isn't that the great thing about these rides? Loosely planned rides always seem to create great memories. So instead of Angels Camp, we ended up eating in Grass Valley for dinner and sleeping in Placerville. We'll skip Angels Camp and go directly to Yosemite tomorrow.

BTW, we are taking pics, but no time to post. I'll get to them... promise.

/Rod

Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 AM
Dirtbagger
Advanced

Here's a couple pics. Linda is standing by our bike at the Black Bear diner in Mt Shasta.

Here is a Motorcycle shop, coffee and Vanson Leathers shop in Greenville, CA. Pretty cool.

/Rod

Old 09-11-2014, 03:35 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about third option? do option 1 until auburn, then take route50 east to lake tahoe, then go from lake tahoe to tioga pass. I'm from Spain but I did that route 3 years ago an route 50 up to lake tahoe is Awsome!

Quick Reply: New trip Oregon to Yosemite and Tahoe