Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Suggestions for one day rides in the Pacific NW

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:16 PM
dehammerschmidt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for one day rides in the Pacific NW

I've been looking for some good one day rides in the Pacific NW. So far I've taken the run to the Johnson Ridge Observatory. I'm told there is another run to Mt St Helens but not sure.

Any suggestions are welcome, routes are preferred.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Well, depends on what part of WA State you're starting from. I haven't done this day ride in a few years but if you're in the Seattle area take the 5 north to Arlington and then that state road over to Darrington and Rockport. Then head east on 20, No. Cascades Hwy., to Winthrop and work your way down to Wenatchee. From Wenatchee you can loop back to the 5 across Stevens Pass. It'd be a good day's effort so leave early. Best done on a week day.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 PM
kcflhri
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From Portland take Hwy 26 West to Hwy 101 North through Seaside to Astoria (beautiful country). Cross Astoria Bridge (about 4 miles long) to Washington. Go right at end of bridge to Cathlamet Wa. Take ferry back to Oregon. Follow Hwy 30 back to Portland.
Make sure to stop at "The Bowpicker" for the BEST Fish and Chips in the land. It's across the street from the Maritime Museum in Astoria. Actually operate out of a old fishing boat. Also make sure to stop at the Astoria Tower for the best view of the entire area! Lots to do in Astoria area as well... Lewis and Clark stuff, old Gun emplacements to protect the Columbia River entrance... Great day ride.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

we really enjoyed Olympic Penn. area. Not killer riding but great places to stop. Port Angeles. Trip up to the top of the mts. La Push would be neat, but was fogged in when we rode out there... ha
There was a post here about a ride around Mt Ranier. That sounded great if you don't mind some wet.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:21 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

So many great opportunities for rides there. Get a map and look at any road that goes through the Cascade mountains then, through the Coastal Range to the Coast. Focus on roads that go along rivers and you are guaranteed spectacular scenery and windy roads. I miss it! Unfortunately, the riding season isn't that long there.

Enjoy!!!

Old 09-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Dirtbagger
Advanced

I agree with TriGeezer for sure. kcflhri, I'll have to try those fish and chips! Plus there are lots of great rides in Oregon too. It would help if I knew where you were coming from for day trips.

From that area of Washington around Johnson Ridge Observatory, isn't that area around the volcano blast amazing to see?, you can head west and south to see Longview and Astoria and areas into Oregon. 101 may be slow during high traffic times. Also head east on Hwy 14 past Camas and into the White Salmon area for amazing views of the Columbia River and toward Goldendale for nice county rides.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cape Meares is a favorite for me, near Tilamook, also Ecola State Park. Headed there next week. Maybe Depot Bay for some whale watching.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:47 PM
dehammerschmidt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Well, depends on what part of WA State you're starting from. I haven't done this day ride in a few years but if you're in the Seattle area take the 5 north to Arlington and then that state road over to Darrington and Rockport. Then head east on 20, No. Cascades Hwy., to Winthrop and work your way down to Wenatchee. From Wenatchee you can loop back to the 5 across Stevens Pass. It'd be a good day's effort so leave early. Best done on a week day.
I'm coming up from Lacey but this looks to be a great ride. Might try to crush this one next weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by dehammerschmidt
I'm coming up from Lacey but this looks to be a great ride. Might try to crush this one next weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.
Since you mentioned that you were coming up from Lacey, have you ever been to Hurricane Ridge? A few years ago I stayed at a place called Oyster Bay and was taken on a ride up to Hurricane Ridge. It has some fantastic scenery and it might interest you. Sorry that I can't give you any road numbers but I'm sure that somebody up there would be able to tell you how to get to it.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Av8rPaul
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 33 Posts

Dang, you must be new to Washington. No disrespect with that comment, but you got lots of great riding in your backyard.

Hwys 7, 12, 706, 410, 123...EVERYTHING around the mountain. Beautiful rides and a lot of places to stop for a bite to eat. I rode up from Reno last month and did the Hwy 101 loop around the peninsula, northbound along the Hood Canal and Puget Sound is a great ride.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for one day rides in the Pacific NW