Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

CA to FL Advice Needed. Weather & POI's

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 PM
jaxbusa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc

Also I don't want to wait till next summer to go on a long ride so this sounded like a great excuse to go sooner. So December, Jan or Feb should be good?

The Weather Almanac showed Jacksonville's weather for December 15, 2013 at 57 low/ 74 high.

You'll be fine. I dread the summer weather more than the winter weather. A balaclava helps me ride when it's real cold (Florida cold, that is).

The Florida Caverns is pretty cool. It is near Tallahassee. http://www.floridastateparks.org/floridacaverns/

Also, Tampa might have some things to check out. My wife and I Went camping a month ago in Saint Pete Beach. It is a very beautiful place. Everyone seemed nice. We went to two local breweries.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:23 AM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rescued from a Trot Line. More 'Gators in Louisiana than in all the other United States combined.

Redfish, Biloxi Marsh SE of New Orleans, December

Late Fall / Early Winter is definitely the best time to visit Louisiana / Coastal Mississippi. Some nice beach in Mississippi, Long Beach to Biloxi. Catch the cruise ship out to Ship Island out of Gulfport on a weekend for a nice boat ride and some pretty beach. In New Orleans catch the Riverboat Natchez (functional Steam Stern Wheeler) for an evening dinner cruise. Lights of the city on the Big River are beautiful, and the Dukes of Dixieland Jazz Band that plays on the boat is top notch. New Orleans Cuisine is famous for a good reason; Court of Two Sisters has an unbeatable Sunday Brunch Buffett, Commander's Palace, Gallatoirs, Acme Oyster all have well deserved good reputations. Acme Grilled Oysters are about my favorite! Oysters are not as good in summer and the heat and humidity are a good reason for me to be visiting the PNW right now! Skip Bourbon Street unless you just have to get the T shirt, and stay off the dark streets down town. I like it along the River.

If you have time to catch a fishing charter in Louisiana, I think we have some of the best fishing in the world in late Fall. Redfish and trout will be tearing it up in the marsh, mackerel and tuna in the deep water.

If you want to do a swamp tour in Louisiana, there will still be a few 'Gators moving around in early November if the weather stays warm; but by December they will be buried in the mud. Start seeing them again in late March.

February, March, Cold Rain and Fog. Getter' done by mid-December.

Last edited by Fireax; 09-18-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:34 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

along the coast in summer can be very hot and humid. Talking even up to 100 miles in... I 10 for instance. Late summer normally sees some high pressure build in up in central USA and helps keep the afternoon t storms from popping. A "small" chance of t storm can turn into several all day long gulf coast and FL in the summer. The chance of meeting a tropical system also is there, but they are usually a bit better predicted.

Sept thru Nov starts getting a bit more predictable weather wise. A few days of good weather, a front may push by with rain then repeat. A bit easier to keep your eye... and ears on. You may even get up to a week between weather systems of great days. Can still get very warm tho

Winter along the coast can be 70s, a lot of 50s and 60s temp wise in winter. Clouds can make a big diff. Still great riding temps to me. This is all from a Lake Charles, LA perspective. Lived there some time. Not sure when the FL monsoon times are, I wanna say late summer, but you better ask someone what knows...

.... well I just repeated what others said... duh.....

Last edited by road king Q; 09-18-2014 at 05:38 AM.