Rush Racing Products Performance V-Twin Exhaust — Providing the industry's most complete line of slip-on mufflers.

finalizing my exhaust decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:34 PM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default finalizing my exhaust decision

I've be come a fan of Rush exhausts based on what I have heard them sound like in person and on youtube, as well as the excellent customer service I have seen here and the recommendation of my local mechanic. I am trying to finalize which exhaust I get, and I have a few questions.

First, my bike is a 2014 SG. I will be doing the stage 1 with the SE A/C and either a Vance and Hines FP3 or a FM Micro EFI tuner (probably the V&H). I don't plan on any further engine mods.

I am trying to decide between a 2:1 system and true duals with the Big Louie's (either one in black), and I have a couple questions for Ryan and anyone else who would like to chime in.

1. What is the difference between the Wrath 2:1 and the standard 2:1? Which is the better application for a simple stage 1 with no further mods planned?

2. I noticed on your website that both 2:1 systems come with a tip compatible muffler. Is there any way to get a 2:1 with a regular slash up muffler?

3. What is the largest baffle I can reliable run in either the Big Louie's or the 2:1 systems based on the tuner/AC combo I am planning on and get a good, smooth running tune? I'm looking for the best combo of sound and performance.

4. What is your personal preference for sound on the Rushmore bikes, the TD's with Big Louie's, or the 2:1 system?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for considering Rush for your bike! Here are my thoughts on your upgrade questions...

1. The Wrath has a stepped header and standard 2:1 has straight 1.75" pipe coming off the jugs. The stepped header Wrath system is designed for high output engines. Were talking huge engine builds like a 117 or 126 and engines with blowers. You can use the Wrath on a normal bike but you won't see the performance benifits of the stepped header until you get into very large powerful engine builds. In my opinion it's not worth the extra cost when installing on a normal 103". The standard 2:1 will be a better application for most bikes. The Wrath has a 4" muffler body like the Big Louie and the standard 2:1 has a 3.5" muffler body. Some people prefer the larger look of the Wrath.
2. We only offer the 2:1 systems as tip compatible. The Wrath uses tips starting with 40xx and the standard uses tips starting with 35xx. We have one tip that has a slight angle on it. That will be the closest to a slash cut look. (4014 or 3514)
3. With true duals and the Big Louie I recommend the 2.25" as the largest to get the best balance of overall performance and a good sound. Some people who put on lots of miles prefer the 2.00" since it's easier on the ears for long rides. Same goes for the 7017HO headers. They have the look of true duals but have a bit more performance due to a crossover section. They produce about 3-4 more hp and tq over standard duals.
For the standard 2:1 I recommend the 2.50" baffles. Best combo of sound and power.
4. I like both setups! The TD's with Big Louies have a deep solid note I can only describe as a muscle car sound. The 2:1 has a race engine sound. If I had a touring bike I would go with the Big Louie. I prefer sidewalk shaking low bass on a harley and in my opinion the Big Louie makes a Harley sound the was it's supposed to.
Let me know if I can provide any other info or opinions.
Thanks,
Ryan

Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 AM
maverick2076
Tourer

So, for what I am doing, you would recommend either the standard 2:1 with the 2.5" baffle, or the High Output true duals with the Big Louie's with 2.25" baffles. You would give the edge in sound to the TD's with the Big Louie's.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

Correct. Here is a video of the Wrath which has a very similar tone to the standard 2:1. The bike has tons of engine work so it sounds very aggressive but you should be able to tell the difference when compared to the true duals.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Puma NJ
Cruiser
Default What would you recommend for the 110"

Originally Posted by Rush Racing Products
Thanks for considering Rush for your bike! Here are my thoughts on your upgrade questions...

1. The Wrath has a stepped header and standard 2:1 has straight 1.75" pipe coming off the jugs. The stepped header Wrath system is designed for high output engines. Were talking huge engine builds like a 117 or 126 and engines with blowers. You can use the Wrath on a normal bike but you won't see the performance benifits of the stepped header until you get into very large powerful engine builds. In my opinion it's not worth the extra cost when installing on a normal 103". The standard 2:1 will be a better application for most bikes. The Wrath has a 4" muffler body like the Big Louie and the standard 2:1 has a 3.5" muffler body. Some people prefer the larger look of the Wrath.
2. We only offer the 2:1 systems as tip compatible. The Wrath uses tips starting with 40xx and the standard uses tips starting with 35xx. We have one tip that has a slight angle on it. That will be the closest to a slash cut look. (4014 or 3514)
3. With true duals and the Big Louie I recommend the 2.25" as the largest to get the best balance of overall performance and a good sound. Some people who put on lots of miles prefer the 2.00" since it's easier on the ears for long rides. Same goes for the 7017HO headers. They have the look of true duals but have a bit more performance due to a crossover section. They produce about 3-4 more hp and tq over standard duals.
For the standard 2:1 I recommend the 2.50" baffles. Best combo of sound and power.
4. I like both setups! The TD's with Big Louies have a deep solid note I can only describe as a muscle car sound. The 2:1 has a race engine sound. If I had a touring bike I would go with the Big Louie. I prefer sidewalk shaking low bass on a harley and in my opinion the Big Louie makes a Harley sound the was it's supposed to.
Let me know if I can provide any other info or opinions.
Thanks,
Ryan
I know this is a few months ago, but this is really helpful, Ryan. I'm pretty much sold on 2:1 exhausts. Would you recommend the standard 2:1 or wrath for a CVO Road King 110"? What baffle? Like this dude, I'm not planning any other mods, just the exhaust and tune. If I flipped and went with the HO duals, would the 2 inch baffle give any better performance over the 2.25" or is the difference only in the sound? I would love to see a little increase in power, but the bike already has enough. I'm offended by the idea of losing power, though. Can the 4014 be installed slash up?

Last edited by Puma NJ; 12-01-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

The Wrath with a 2.50" baffle is my recommendation. It has the 4" muffler body and looks great on CVO bikes. The 2.50" baffle should give the best overall performance. You can use the 2.25" for a bit less volume. The 2.00" is too small for use on a built 110" engine.

If you use the duals the performance difference between the 2.00 and 2.25" will be minimal. I would base the baffle decision on sound. No matter what you decide on they will all provide performance increases when properly tuned. Thanks for considering Rush!
Ryan

Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 PM
maverick2076
Tourer

Finally got my exhaust installed today and rode it home. I ended up going with the high performance headers and Big Louie's with the 2.5" baffles. Holy crap, it sounds and looks amazing. Thanks for all of your help!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

Originally Posted by maverick2076
Finally got my exhaust installed today and rode it home. I ended up going with the high performance headers and Big Louie's with the 2.5" baffles. Holy crap, it sounds and looks amazing. Thanks for all of your help!
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you are happy with it!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:20 AM
maverick2076
Tourer

The more I ride with them, the happier I get. The sound is perfect. Its aggressive in tone, loud through the gears, but settles down into a comfortable growl when cruising. The finish on the pipes is great, and looks much better than the non-textured, flat black of the V&H pipes. The heat dissipation from the ceramic coating is significant. All in all, I could not be happier!