Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

cam choice suggestions for 2014 cvo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:26 AM
pharough
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam choice suggestions for 2014 cvo upgrade

I have a 2014 CVO Breakout with vance and hines 2 into 2 exhaust. I want to put in high compression pistons, 53mm throttle body, larger injectors, and bigger heads. I am trying to decide on the cam. I am torn because I dont want to have to rev the bike high on initial takeoff as I have been told would happen with a bigger cam. The 254E cam has been suggested for quicker acceleration. I am open to suggestions. I have even thought about leaving the cams alone. I dont mind sacrificing top end in order to get maximum power and acceleration from 0-100. For now I want to stay with a Harley cam for warranty issues

Old 10-19-2014, 06:10 AM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts

For bigger cams typically you need to add some compression to get them to perform especially at low rpm. If you build it right low rpms will be a lot of fun. There are better cams than the 254e so talk to some builders and folks that are actually running the cam they recommend . HD cams are EPA compliant so they will limit performance since the MOCO has to meet the standards set.

For me, i am a Woods fan and have Tw-222s in my bikes, lots of low end. Talk to Jamie at Fuelmoto and they will steer u right.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tully_mars
For bigger cams typically you need to add some compression to get them to perform especially at low rpm. If you build it right low rpms will be a lot of fun. There are better cams than the 254e so talk to some builders and folks that are actually running the cam they recommend . HD cams are EPA compliant so they will limit performance since the MOCO has to meet the standards set.

For me, i am a Woods fan and have Tw-222s in my bikes, lots of low end. Talk to Jamie at Fuelmoto and they will steer u right.
i agree w/ you but he wants to stay w/ harley cams so fuel moto wont really be helpful.

if you want best performance i would steer away from harley though but i can see your side of it

Old 10-29-2014, 08:35 AM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The SE 259E is a good cam for what your looking for.

Look at the SE 110 stage III kit. Comes with the SE 259 cams, pistons, gaskets, tuner and pushrods for $1,259. Potential for 110hp and 114 tq with stock heads. More with head work....

Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM
SmokeEm
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pharough
I have a 2014 CVO Breakout with vance and hines 2 into 2 exhaust. I want to put in high compression pistons, 53mm throttle body, larger injectors, and bigger heads. I am trying to decide on the cam. I am torn because I dont want to have to rev the bike high on initial takeoff as I have been told would happen with a bigger cam. The 254E cam has been suggested for quicker acceleration. I am open to suggestions. I have even thought about leaving the cams alone. I dont mind sacrificing top end in order to get maximum power and acceleration from 0-100. For now I want to stay with a Harley cam for warranty issues
All of the 110" CVO engines come with the SE255E cams so if you were wanting to stay with the H-D parts the next cam upgrade would be the SE259E which is also available as a kit that includes the 10.5:1 pistons and some other parts as well. My recommendation is to talk to a tuner close to you and let them assist you in selecting the parts that will work best for your budget and expectations. I know there are several that are near you, GMR Performance is in Ft. Worth, TX. The stock heads aren't that bad but the best man in the business for cylinder head work is T Man Performance. Just remember, all the performance parts in the world won't mean anything without a good tune. The tuner is the key. One of the best tuners around is Doc's Performance in Minneola, FL.