Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO ROADglide air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:58 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default CVO ROADglide air pressure

I have a 2013 roadglide ultra, but i recently added the 19" front cvo agitator wheel and the 18" rear. My book from harley has air pressure listed for different size rims. For those are you with a cvo with the same rims, what does it say your air pressure should be set at. I don't wanna go off the max pressure on the tire, what do you run. by the way i tried searching this and don't know why it hasn't come up, it had to have. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:58 PM
Chief_M
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Book on my '15 FLHTKSE is 36 front and 40 rear.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:17 AM
roadrash3
Road Master

Thanks but i think your stock is 17" front and 16" rear, so different. I am looking for the air pressure on the CVO road glide that has the 19" agitator front and 18" rear.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:43 PM
TRIGGERMAN-SERG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use Tire Manufacturer's Max Pressure

Originally Posted by roadrash3
........... I don't wanna go off the max pressure on the tire ...............
Not sure why you wouldn't want to take the tire manufacturers recommendation. I've found the max tire pressure works the best for a fully loaded touring bike and helps minimize the cupping which happens inevitably on the rear tire, particularly when riding assertively in the twisty's. I'm talking about Dunlops mostly, although had a similar issue with Metzeler tires. The factory recommendations are more for rider comfort than performance IMHO.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:44 PM
roadrash3
Road Master

I have been told a few times from those in the know in the tire industry that you should not run the max pressure that is on the side of the tire. Tire will heat up and can go beyond that pressure. I had this happen once on a mountain bike, i ran the air pressure listed on the side of the tire, when it got heated up and the air expanded, i blew the tire right off the rim, throwing the wheel out of true. i know there are tons of road glide CVO owners on here and have the number i am looking for. I wish harley did what other manufactures do and post the owners manuals online.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I run 36 front and 42 rear.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIGGERMAN-SERG
Not sure why you wouldn't want to take the tire manufacturers recommendation. I've found the max tire pressure works the best for a fully loaded touring bike and helps minimize the cupping which happens inevitably on the rear tire, particularly when riding assertively in the twisty's. I'm talking about Dunlops mostly, although had a similar issue with Metzeler tires. The factory recommendations are more for rider comfort than performance IMHO.
Because MAX pressure is only for MAX load. That is why the tire manufactures say to use the vehicle manufacturers recommendation. The tire manufacturer DOES NOT know the weight of the vehicle it is being used on.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 PM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
I have been told a few times from those in the know in the tire industry that you should not run the max pressure that is on the side of the tire. Tire will heat up and can go beyond that pressure. I had this happen once on a mountain bike, i ran the air pressure listed on the side of the tire, when it got heated up and the air expanded, i blew the tire right off the rim, throwing the wheel out of true. i know there are tons of road glide CVO owners on here and have the number i am looking for. I wish harley did what other manufactures do and post the owners manuals online.
I got a chuckle at your expense. lol While I am not a tire expert, I find that comparing a light weight mountain bike tire and a heavy touring motorcycle tire to be like comparing night to day. Since you didn't say (and an honest question here) are your people "...in the know in the tire industry..." talking about bicycle tires or motorcycle tires? are the tires on the wheels OEM HD or aftermarket tires? I would think that if your ...in the know..." folks are such motorcycle tire experts, they should be able to guide you on this topic.

That said, the roads I normally ride are far from smooth and full of spleen buster type of bumps and G-out undulations. I usually run max or near max pressures all the time and I have never had any issues with tires blowing out. I have also found that when running near max pressures my tire wear has been increased. I had 26k on the stock front and only replaced it because I was going on a 5k trip. Got 20k out of the stock rear.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:16 AM
jethro69
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pressures per the owners manual are Front-36 Rear-40

Old 07-05-2015, 07:28 AM
roadrash3
Road Master

Originally Posted by jethro69
Pressures per the owners manual are Front-36 Rear-40
Thanks i was close, i was running 36 front and 42 rear. Thanks for your help in finding that answer.

Quick Reply: CVO ROADglide air pressure