Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Picking up a 16 FLS S, school me on the 110 motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 PM
bighatlaw
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up a 16 FLS S, school me on the 110 motor

So I'm picking up a Slim S next week. Bike arrived at my dealer today. I'm stoked to get it but no little about the performance of this motor and what I can get out of it. Posting here as I figure you fellas are more familiar with the 110.

Performance wise what is a must do? Obviously I plan to have pipes added straight off, actually they are already at the dealer in stand by. All my previous bikes I've added pipes, a AC, TTS Mastertune, and a Dyno run. My dealer is telling me that is not necessary with this motor. They say just adding pipes is fine as these bikes ship from the factory with Stage 1 and that know tuner, Dyno, ECM flash is necessary.

So just looking for advice and opinions. Thank you in advance.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:03 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

No one knows but the factory the state of tune for the 16's, I think you are on the right track with add ons, the 110's pull very hard with good exhaust and tuner.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:54 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

No matter what your Dealer told you, the bike only has a "stage 1" air cleaner from the factory. Once you install a free flowing exhaust you will need a tuner of some sort to adjust the AFR or take your chances with the motor. Your call!

Old 08-27-2015, 06:50 PM
bighatlaw
Tourer

Thank you for the replies. That is exactly what I was thinking. What he was saying went against everything I had thought. I have always run a TTS, but he was trying to say not needed.

So then I can get a Pro Tuner from the dealer for a song when I get the bike. No experience with them. Go ahead or stick with my Indy shop and a new TTS? I'm open to giving it a go because of the price difference, but not at the expense of performance.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I'd just ride it stock for all while and then decide if you want to do anything.

If you want the pipes now, then you will need some sort of tune. I'm not familiar with the TTS but have heard good things.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:31 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Paint it black, makes it faster

Old 08-28-2015, 03:11 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're going to go with a flash style tuner, like the SERT or TTS, that means putting the bike on a dyno. That means running it up to high rpm levels...which is not something you want to do on a new bike. The dealer that I have had my bikes dyno tunes done takes about 4 hours to get done. They prefer a minimum of 1000 miles on the bike.

I bought a CVO limited and had Rineharts put on it before I took it home, but it was only because the dealer had a map already for Rinehart Slimlines on a 110 so I had a decent base map to operate with "out of the box". I just took it back in yesterday to have the 1K service and the full dyno done.

So...you can put a 1000 on it and then decide, or if you are set on new exhaust right now, and the dealer can put some sort of a workable base map on for you to get you through break in...either would work if you staying with a flash type tuner.

If you are looking at Vance and Hines, I have heard good things about the FuelPac tuner, which is more of a "do it yourself" thing. I am sure you could get the boys at V&H to give you a map close enough to start with if you choose another exhaust system, but I would check with them first before dropping the money.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:43 PM
enforcer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned above don't listen to the dealers advice…you'll need a tuner.

Power….higher...fuel consumption….higher…overall satisfaction…higher.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:06 PM
bighatlaw
Tourer

Well, Nevermind. Slim S came in. Looked at it. Didn't really care for the color, then left on a new 15 Street Glide Special. Bought it for the same money as the Slim S and took advantage of HD's .99 financing on leftover 15 touring bikes.

Thank you for all the replies though.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:39 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by bighatlaw
Well, Nevermind. Slim S came in. Looked at it. Didn't really care for the color, then left on a new 15 Street Glide Special. Bought it for the same money as the Slim S and took advantage of HD's .99 financing on leftover 15 touring bikes.

Thank you for all the replies though.

You made the right choice!

Congrats on the Street Glide.

YB

Quick Reply: Picking up a 16 FLS S, school me on the 110 motor