Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2013 CVO Ultra Hammock seat issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 2013 CVO Ultra Hammock seat issue

I have just around 25K miles on my 2013 CVO Ultra. A couple of months ago I notices and repaired a small hole on the seat near the nose. Last week I noticed that there is a large split of the upholstery on the underside of the nose. I've reviewed this site and learned that the Hammock seat doesn't seem to last very long which doesn't say much for a seat that sells for 899.00! And of course it is not covered under my 7 year extended warranty.

I should say that on my 05 Ultra, I replaced the stock seat with a Corbin two up and loved it. I did not feel the need to replace the Hammock as it seemed to be a darn comfortable seat form the Moco. I refuse to buy a new Hammock knowing that they fail.

As I think about correcting this problem I first thought of having it re-uppholstered by New England Trim in Shrewsbury Ma. Never used them before, but assume I could get the work done in leather for a fair price, much less than a new seat. I'd have the design match the current look. I realize that the foam can lose some of its support, so replacement options are on the table also.

My second option is a Corbin two up heated replacement, with a standard backrest. Great seat but the cost is a bit up there around 1,100 with shipping. And I'm not a fan of their passenger Tour-Pak arm/back rest. It doesn't cover (or go below) the lid seam on the tour-pak. I had one before and returned it. So my Corbin seat wouldn't match the pattern on the passenger arm rest (but I could live with that).

Last option - I've begun looking at a Russell Day Long. Not that great looking to be honest, but I hear nothing but great things about them. My understanding is that they build this out of my existing seat. Thus I would send my seat, backrest, passenger arm/back rest to them and they'd do their work. I'd go with Leather and keeping my heated seat elements would cost me: 1140.00 plus shipping. So a bit more than the Corbin set up but, the passenger backrest would match.

I've ridden 900 miles in a day once. 300+ day trips are very common. My wife (even with the Hammock) never rides without her Airhawk. I will be taking a 2100.00 mile ride to Sturgis next year. Given my options, I'm leaning toward the Day Long, but I'm not too crazy about the thick look.

Given the amount and distance I ride, and for those of you that have had a Corbin and Day Long - is the comfort of the day long that much better than the Corbin for one... And is the comfort worth the "Old man look"

Thanks folks,
Joe

Old 09-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Ohio HD Guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a CVO Heated Hammock for sale off a 2011.. Great condition

Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a hammock seat and it is pulling on the seams along the nose on each side, its the vinyl that seems to be pulling away not the stitches, my buddy has the same issue. I am happy with the seat and it is heated so I think I am going to go the recover route over the winter if the price isn't horrible, it has to be better than buying a new seat.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:39 AM
08EGUltra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same problems cheaper solution

I have the same poor quality issues with my 2013 CVO ultra hammock seat. Picked up a stock ultra seat off that ... bay site. Sent it to mean city cycles for a custom build. Memory foam, gel, heat, and narrowed at the thigh. A new seat built to my needs under $400 including shipping. Retired the hammock to the pile of take off parts in the corner of the garage, if I ever trade or sell the bike I will put it back on and keep my personalized one.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:47 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Hmm...

I also have a '13 CVO Ultra and the rear seat seam started coming undone.
(No one has ever been in that seat)

I took it to a leather repair shop and had it repaired and it looks like new, though it was a bit expensive at least I still have the OEM seat cover.

As for having your seat covered in leather, I'd think that you'd be riding with a wet butt quite often. If you do this, vinyl is the way to go.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:50 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

C&C Seats!

Great seats, great comfort, great looks, great price, great company.

Also made in the USA!

YB