Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

New 110" Needs Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 04:56 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New 110" Needs Cooling?

Hey All,

Some history: Dealer replaced my 2009 96"/103"/107" with a new 110" long block thanks to case threads pulling out due to too many builds.....it blew head gaskets both front and rear cylinders and after time-sert repairs failed on rear cylinder during re-assembly dealer said new cases or new engine was only recourse. I wanted the 120R but EPA here in CA doesn't allow it on my '09 Ultra. So, on the 103/107 my oil temp gauge was usually at 230 degrees while cruising and a bit higher when stuck in traffic and/or at a long stop lights. With the new 110" after 1200 miles, oil changed to syn by dealer, I am seeing a solid 250-260 degrees on my temperature gauge while riding the hills and dales of San Diego County for 4 or 5 hours every Monday when the 70+ age group I ride with gets together. We typically ride in 80-90 F + here in the land of fruits and nuts......southern California.

Questions: 1) Is 250-260 F degrees average temp normal/okay for a 110" motor? The engine management system almost always kicks in to shut down the rear cylinder at stop lights. I feel an uncomfortable level of heat on my right leg at stop lights but otherwise heat is not noticeable while cruising.

If I shop for better oil cooler and/or cylinder cooling fans what do you recommend brand wise?

Thanks much!

Last edited by HOGNOT; 11-11-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:59 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,591 Posts

I have a '13 CVO Ultra and the mods that I've made to help it run cool are Rinehart XT True Duals (no converter) with a SERT and a dyno tune and a set of Wards Parts Werks fans.

Last summer, shortly before a long southern trip, I changed the SYN3 20w-50w motor oil and used Red Line 20w-60w and I could hear a difference in the sound of my engine.
With the "dipstick digital LED" my oil temp usually runs close to 230 degrees and the fans (thermostat controlled) run all of the time and usually shut down a few minutes after I shut the engine off.

The following users liked this post:
HOGNOT (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 10:21 AM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I have a '13 CVO Ultra and the mods that I've made to help it run cool are Rinehart XT True Duals (no converter) with a SERT and a dyno tune and a set of Wards Parts Werks fans.

Last summer, shortly before a long southern trip, I changed the SYN3 20w-50w motor oil and used Red Line 20w-60w and I could hear a difference in the sound of my engine.
With the "dipstick digital LED" my oil temp usually runs close to 230 degrees and the fans (thermostat controlled) run all of the time and usually shut down a few minutes after I shut the engine off.
Hey thanks for the info. Coincidently, I looked at the Wards fans and definitely liked the look of them far better than anything else I have seen when compared to others like the 'Love jugs" etc. Unfortunately the Werks site says none of his fans are available nor will they be until, "....end of the riding season.....or maybe until next year....." or words to that effect.

Anyway, I am somewhat surprised but pleasantly so that you get the 230 degrees with those tiny fans......frankly I am surprised you get any oil temp reduction without one of the fan type oil coolers like UltraCool or Jagg that I have looked at. I was assuming the fans only reduced the felt heat coming off the heads

Do you know what your oil temps were before you installed the fans and the Redline oil?

Thanks again!

Old 11-13-2016, 01:52 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGNOT
Hey thanks for the info. Coincidently, I looked at the Wards fans and definitely liked the look of them far better than anything else I have seen when compared to others like the 'Love jugs" etc. Unfortunately the Werks site says none of his fans are available nor will they be until, "....end of the riding season.....or maybe until next year....." or words to that effect.

Anyway, I am somewhat surprised but pleasantly so that you get the 230 degrees with those tiny fans......frankly I am surprised you get any oil temp reduction without one of the fan type oil coolers like UltraCool or Jagg that I have looked at. I was assuming the fans only reduced the felt heat coming off the heads

Do you know what your oil temps were before you installed the fans and the Redline oil?

Thanks again!
Honestly I cannot. I bought the LED digital dipstick after I had the mods done. The fans only cool the heads but my thoughts are that if reducing the ambient temperature (as in weather) helps an air cooled engine run cooler then any reduction in heat on or near the engine would do so also.
I've thought about a fan cooled oil cooler but as I said earlier, my bike hasn't gotten hot enough to justify that and keep in mind that I also live in a cooler climate.