Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO Street Glide or Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:19 PM
realred04
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

faced the same dilemma. I went with the Limited for the reasons stated by the other members in this thread (and yes the power locks are very nice). I removed the tour pack and bought a CVO Street Glide seat off this forum and have the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:06 AM
FXDFan
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mofo67
Great news, I just test rode a 17 CVO SG? Wow it was impressive. It didn't help me make up my mind on which one but it help me make the decision I am getting one.... I currently ride an 12 FLHTK with heated CVO seat so I'm going to run the numbers but I think it will be the Ultra. My local dealer has another SG coming in next week and an Ultra in a couple of weeks. By the time I add things to the SG I think it will cost more than the Ultra, but the resell on the SG is normally quicker and they seem to hold their value but adding $5,000 to the price is just more money that I would most likely not recoup.
Thanks for the input from everyone. I'll update and post pictures once I get the bike.
Remember though, you can always pull the added parts, like the tour pack, lowers, etc off and move to your next bike, or sell them privately. Dealer won't give you more than pennies on the dollar at trade time, but you can recoup selling those items privately, or re-using on your new sled !

Old 02-04-2017, 08:06 AM
CharlieMac
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have always liked the sleek look of the street glide and the 1 inch shorter rear shocks. However, my last 3 touring bikes that I have bought have been the Ultra Limited. I bought a 2011 Ultra Limited and bought the detachable tourpak kit, but never installed it before I traded it in on a 2015 Ultra Limited. I bought the detachable tourpak kit for this bike, but never installed it before I traded it in on my current ride, a 2016 Ultra Limited CVO. I have had the CVO since March, 2016 and haven't installed the detachable kit yet, but I plan to. I really like having the tourpak.
Charlie

Old 02-05-2017, 08:19 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,953 Likes on 2,350 Posts

My choice is the Street Glide. I ride solo, as my wife has her own bike. I have had one Ultra, but tour pack was off unless we were on a 4 day or longer trip.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:58 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm biased because I have a CVO Street Glide but I'm in the same proverbial boat as Dave, I ride solo and my wife rides alongside me with her 2017 SGS. Both bikes you are considering have unique qualities of their own but it really comes down to your personal riding needs, your comfort and the style/look of the bike you prefer. Ultimately, it should be the bike that gives you that wow factor every time you see it or jump on it for a ride. In the end, they are both fantastic options.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Awsom71
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the privilege of owning both and prefer the Glide as it is much easier to maneuver around, sits a bit lower and just isn't as heavy. I never used the trunk on the Ultra anyways. The Ultra was a cruiser on the highway and comfortable as hell but I wanted a Glide so I got one.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 526 Posts

Thanks for all of the great responses. My decision has been made. I put a deposit on a Silver and Black CVO Limited. I hope to have it in a few weeks. I ordered a set of Wild One Chubby 10" bars and a street tuner. I will also be replacing the windshield and putting on Fullsac 1.75" baffles and clear saddlebag lid protectors. Trying to work out a wheel swap but not sure that will work out plus I want the TPMS system to continue to work. I actually liked the Black/Red CVO SG better but the Limited comes with everything I needed and more. I'll post a few pictures once the get it.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:09 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Congrats. Can't wait to see the pics. Bottom line is they are both wicked rides, each with their own unique features.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM
mstrobes
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 129 Posts

congrats, great choice but you can't go wrong on either one.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:42 AM
Royalt
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mofo67
Well like many of us on this site every few years we get the itch for a new Harley. We go into the dealer and CVO sticker shock and buy something else. Fast forward a few years and thousands spent on a bike only to hear you can't expect to get out of a bike what you put in and you wish you would have bought the CVO.
That is now for me and I am looking at a 2017 CVOSG or CVOUltra. I feel the resell down the road on the SG is a little better and the sticker price is about $3,200 less on the SG? That being said I would have to buy a tour pack so there goes $2,500. I currently have a heated seat and grips so there is another $1,000. Now that the price is the same I have a decision to make. The only thing I know the SG would be missing is the rider to passenger communication. Can that be added to the SG? Any idea how much? It would have a better audio system than the Ultra. Any other differences other than tire size and shock length.
I felt my past SG handled better than my current Ultra. Not sure on the newer bikes.
Any imput and thoughts would be appreciated.
Im with you 100 % I had a 2014 ultra limited and because of my size I felt it was the single worst bike I ever owned . I dropped the suspension and modified the seat . It was better then but i still couldn't handle it well with a passenger up on that throne seat . It was alway top heavy . My street glide fits me like a glove . Its perfect for my body size Im 5'10 and 30 inseam . I dont care if I have a tour pack I can mount a piece of luggage to it if I want to . Before I modified the seat and shocks I would fall over at a stop light if my passenger moved . That SG just seems so easy to ride and feels like its balanced . No issues I love it . I have the CVO 17 now I just traded my 2016 FLHXS in on the FLHXSE .

Quick Reply: CVO Street Glide or Ultra