Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO Street Glide or Ultra

Old 01-27-2017, 04:21 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 799 Likes on 525 Posts
Default CVO Street Glide or Ultra

Well like many of us on this site every few years we get the itch for a new Harley. We go into the dealer and CVO sticker shock and buy something else. Fast forward a few years and thousands spent on a bike only to hear you can't expect to get out of a bike what you put in and you wish you would have bought the CVO.
That is now for me and I am looking at a 2017 CVOSG or CVOUltra. I feel the resell down the road on the SG is a little better and the sticker price is about $3,200 less on the SG? That being said I would have to buy a tour pack so there goes $2,500. I currently have a heated seat and grips so there is another $1,000. Now that the price is the same I have a decision to make. The only thing I know the SG would be missing is the rider to passenger communication. Can that be added to the SG? Any idea how much? It would have a better audio system than the Ultra. Any other differences other than tire size and shock length.
I felt my past SG handled better than my current Ultra. Not sure on the newer bikes.
Any imput and thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:54 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You pretty much hit all of the differences.

The CVO Ultra will have CB along with the intercom. Also passenger floor boards instead of pegs.

Generally it's better (cheaper) to take things off an Ultra than add the same things to a SG. I just leave everything on.

I don't have enough miles on a SG to say you will appreciate the extra inch of suspension, but that seems to be the opinion on this forum.

The SG will drag in corners before the ultra.

Do you want to look cool (SG) or go far (Ultra)? Not saying each can't do both, just that is how they are marketed & equipped.

The following users liked this post:
Mofo67 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a 2010 CVO Ultra, and a 2015 CVO Street Glide. IMHO.....the Ultra is a more comfortable seating position. With the lowered seat position of the Street Glide, my hips are lower and knees more bent when I sit on the saddle. With my Ultra, stock Hammock seat, my legs are straighter, knees not bent as much. Handle bars feel about the same on both. Its just the saddle position that I notice. When only riding a couple hours....Street Glide, when going longer, Ultra.
The center of gravity is higher on the Ultra with the tour pack. I notice it when switching back and forth between bikes. After a couple minutes in the saddle, either one feels normal, until I switch to the other one.
Look at how you plan to ride....long distance touring, or just local hops. If you are going long distance, you cant beat the Ultra, and the extra space with the tour pack is nice also. Just day trips, maybe once in a while a couple of days, the Street Glide is lighter, easier to push around if you have to.
What ever you pick they are both nice bikes. If I was forced to have only one....I would go Ultra.

Mofo67 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:25 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

The cvo sg comes with a CB/intercom connection for the rider, mine even came with a headset. As far as adding a passenger connection I don't know how hard it will be. I am buying a tour pack for mine. I went with a sg cause I like the extended bags and rear fender better then the ultra. The ultra cvo also comes with heated grips and power locking bags and tour pack.

Mofo67 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 PM
SilverStreetGlide
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd go with the LIMITED (Ultra) over the Street Glide. I am fortunate to own both. But can honestly tell you if I could only have 1 than the Limited is the best package. Your tail bone will be talking to you or your buttocks on th SG 200 miles in. Presently I have 2 CVO SG's and 1 CVO Limited. When my 17 CVO Limited comes in I am selling my 15 SG CVO. So I will now own 2 LIMITEDS to 1 SG.

Mofo67 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 PM
JohnnieH
Intermediate
Received 54 Likes on 16 Posts

We faced this and ended with the limited. Quick attach kit for the tour pak and now I feel I've got the best of both. The difference with tp on or off is amazing.

Mofo67 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:19 PM
mstrobes
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 129 Posts

Limited

Mofo67 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 05:47 AM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member

I found a dealer near by that has a SG in stock and I've already looked at the Ultra. So today I'm going to look at the SG to help make up my mind. After reading the great comments I think it will be the Ultra. Most of my rides are 200-300 mile day trips and a couple of longer trips each spring/summer. Being used to the tour pack I know I would need that and I didn't even think about the passenger floor boards, wife would have to have those. Great news today it's will be 50 degrees and sunny here in NC so what better way to spend it than riding from dealer to dealer on my current bike looking at the new ones.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:19 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin_n
The ultra cvo also comes with heated grips and power locking bags and tour pack.
The power locking saddlebags, tour pak & fork lock are worth their weight in gold.

No keys needed, just the FOB. Press a button everything is locked/unlocked.

Or just hit the run switch (FOB in pocket) or Auxiliary and press the lock/unlock button on the bike.

Mofo67 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member

Great news, I just test rode a 17 CVO SG? Wow it was impressive. It didn't help me make up my mind on which one but it help me make the decision I am getting one.... I currently ride an 12 FLHTK with heated CVO seat so I'm going to run the numbers but I think it will be the Ultra. My local dealer has another SG coming in next week and an Ultra in a couple of weeks. By the time I add things to the SG I think it will cost more than the Ultra, but the resell on the SG is normally quicker and they seem to hold their value but adding $5,000 to the price is just more money that I would most likely not recoup.
Thanks for the input from everyone. I'll update and post pictures once I get the bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CVO Street Glide or Ultra