Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Need CVO Electrical Manual Help, (Spun Aluminum Face 4" Speedo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:07 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Need CVO Electrical Manual Help, (Spun Aluminum Face 4" Speedo)

I just recently installed the CVO spun aluminum speedometer and tachometer on my 2006 Dyna Low Rider and I'm having a problem with the low fuel level light.

The problem that I'm having is with the 67516-04B Spun Aluminum Face 4" Speedometer, the low fuel indicator light stays on even with a full tank of gas. I also got a code B1005 which is for an open or high resistance circuit. I used the service manual and did all ground and resistance checks, and everything checks out OK. Also when I plug in the old gauge the low fuel indicator operates properly.[/align][/align]When I first installed the gauges > ignition switch on >low fuel indicator light is off > run switch triggers engine light (normal) and the low fuel level light (not normal with full tank of gas),also low fuel level light stays on. If I disconnect gauge harness and reconnect I get the same result. If I leave the speedometer connected on the second power up cycle, as soon as you turn ignition switch on low fuel indicator comes on and stays on with run switch on or off.[/align]
[hr]
[/align]I'm wondering if the speedometer is wired differently internally and I just need to move the Y/W wire to another pin location, that would explain why I'm getting a code for an open circuit, or I have received a bad speedometer.[/align]
[hr]
[/align]Below is from the wiring diagram for my 2006 Dyna Low Rider. Is this the same in the CVO electrical manual for bikes with the 4" Spun Aluminum Face Speedo? [/align][/align]Wires to speedometer[/align]IGNITION...........1.............O[/align]DATABUS...........2.............LGN/V[/align]NC....................3.............NOTUSED[/align]SECURITY LP.......4.............BN/V[/align]BATTERY............5.............BN/GY[/align]ACCESSORY........6.............O/W[/align]GROUND.............7.............BK[/align]TRIP SW.............8.............BK[/align]FUEL LEVEL.........9.............Y/W[/align]NC....................10...........NOT USED[/align]TRIP SW............11...........BK[/align]NC....................12...........NOT USED[/align][/align][/align]This is the information that I looked up for part numberson Harley Davidson's website for the gauges[/align][color=#000000][color=#000000][font=verdana][size=2]67516-04B

4" Speedometer - MPH

Fits '04-'07 Electra Glide® and Road Glide® models and [b]'04-'06 XL and Dyna® models equipped with

Old 09-22-2007, 08:32 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Need CVO Electrical Manual Help, (Spun Aluminum Face 4" Speedo)

These are the 4" gauges, they are used on some of the CVO bikes.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

check the http://www.cvoharley.com/ I seem to remember reading an article of something similar...

Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 AM
novazeus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if it resets after you run the bike down the road a bit.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:55 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jammerx

check the http://www.cvoharley.com/ I seem to remember reading an article of something similar...
Thank you for the link. I did a couple of searches on that site and couldn't find a similar problem, other then guys having problems with the fuel gauge sending unit which was also causing fuel gauge problems, my gauge is workingproperly its just the low fuel light that has been staying on.

ORIGINAL: novazeus

See if it resets after you run the bike down the road a bit.
I pulled the main fuse yesterday for about thirty minutes,when I put it back in the clock was not showing anymore. I only got mileage, trip A, and trip B. Then the clock came back up. I noticed the same thing when I first installed the gauges. Is that normal? Since my bike is a 2006 model year that originally did not come with a clock I have no information on its operation.

I also took a sixty mile ride yesterday and the light continued to operate as ifit had low fuel, and italsowas flashing at times, but the fuel gauge was reading correctly. At the end of the trip I filled up the tank, turned on the ignition and still got the light. Now today I turn on the ignition and run switch and no light. So do you know something about this? Does the speedometer self calibrate to the varying resistance of the fuel gauge sending unit?

Old 09-26-2007, 02:47 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: WS6 Formula

I also took a sixty mile ride yesterday and the light continued to operate as ifit had low fuel, and italsowas flashing at times, but the fuel gauge was reading correctly. At the end of the trip I filled up the tank, turned on the ignition and still got the light. Now today I turn on the ignition and run switch and no light. So do you know something about this? Does the speedometer self calibrate to the varying resistance of the fuel gauge sending unit?
Took another ride and low fuel lightgoes betweenstaying on or flashing.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:51 AM
08CVORK
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look closely at the connectors to the back of the speedo and tach. These connectors have hollow connectors that slide onto the pins in the receptical on the instrument. They are known to enlarge or open up to the point that the connection is intermittant. The fix is a bitch to do if you don't replace the connectors, but it can be done.... I measured the pin diameter and used a gage pin to try for fit in the connectors and found them too loose for good connection. I'm thinking that your serial data line is intermittent and must restart periodically to refresh the logic in the instrument and that can cause all sorts of false interpretations by the instrument especially with slow data information such as the fuel low level.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

The thing is that with the old speedometers low fuel level light operates correctly,I swapped speedometers back and forth several times and the new one consistently malfunctions.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM
08CVORK
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad instrument?

Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WS6 Formula, Have you had any resoultion to the fuel light staying on? Looking into this mod as well.

Quick Reply: Need CVO Electrical Manual Help, (Spun Aluminum Face 4" Speedo)