Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

110 CI Engine rapping???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:34 AM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
could be the compensator, is noise sounding like its coming from left side front?
Years later after having extensive engine work done to improve performance the builder found that the rear cam gear was warped over 5/1000 and he believed that the original warranty problem was due to the gear not the bolt being over torqued. He could see ware on the bolt and bore of the cam gear. He felt the reason it didn't brake the bolt again was the ware in the chain was just enough to allow it to run.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

My '13 CVO Ultra has an "occasional" knocking noise at approximately 2900 RPM's.

I've had it back to the dealer and they claim I will have this noise until I choose to start using "dino" oil.

Though I have the ESP, and should not worry about this knock, I know that it's not a normal noise and if the SYN 3 oil is causing this problem, why does it not make this noise all of the time?

I'm taking the bike in in a couple of weeks and they can keep it until spring for all I care but I want the problem solved.
If it takes a new set of improved lifters, so be it, even if I have to buy them myself, but I will not replace the OEM lifters with H-D or Screaming Eagle parts.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:48 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
My '13 CVO Ultra has an "occasional" knocking noise at approximately 2900 RPM's.

I've had it back to the dealer and they claim I will have this noise until I choose to start using "dino" oil.

Though I have the ESP, and should not worry about this knock, I know that it's not a normal noise and if the SYN 3 oil is causing this problem, why does it not make this noise all of the time?

I'm taking the bike in in a couple of weeks and they can keep it until spring for all I care but I want the problem solved.
If it takes a new set of improved lifters, so be it, even if I have to buy them myself, but I will not replace the OEM lifters with H-D or Screaming Eagle parts.
I’m not sure lifters will help as they are a very basic item. Really the only thing that can cause a lifter to go bad is a broken or very weak spring. I have issues once in a while with my 09 SERG even after installing the Black Opps lifters. Also another buddy has issues with his 07 Wide Glide. He also installed new lifters with no real change in sound. If you look at a cut away engine you’ll see that the oil galley on the front most lifter is quite a bit longer and more turns. I think that this might be a lot of the lifter noise issue even though it seems to come and go on both mine and my friends Wide Glide. As the engine warms up it seems to become less although my 09 seems to do it a random. I’ve been running Amsoil from just after the break-in period and I’m a little fanatical and change it every 3k miles.

Last edited by jad; 11-13-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:27 PM
mbmike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 CVO engine noise

My 2010 CVO sounded like the rods were going to fall out after 22k miles I traded it off since dealers always said it was norm. But wasn't norm is is used oil a lot 1k miles art and half. Last CVO I'll purchase. Currently have 2014 limited loving life .