Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

History of Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default History of Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)

The following has been copied directly from Harley Davidson's Website (History of Custom Vehicle Operations)

In 1999, Harley-Davidson® introduced the Custom Vehicle Operation (CVO) program. Custom motorcycles haven't been the same since. Read on to discover how this program evolved and what motorcycles it has produced.

In 1999, in response to riders' demands for exclusive factory-customs, Harley-Davidson launched the Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) program. Providing low volume models infused with an abundance of chrome, the program aimed not merely to fulfill the dreams of motorcycle customizers, but to inspire them. Each CVO model featured unique paint schemes and accessories, creating demand that far exceeded limited production. You could add your own personal touches on a CVO bike, but the advantages of the CVO program were difficult to duplicate. These bikes featured accessories that couldn't be purchased anywhere else. Restricted paint schemes were not only unavailable for existing motorcycles, but you would have to present your CVO Vehicle Identification Number to get a repainting job done. The first two CVO models were the FXR2 and FXR3, with production limited to just 900 units each.

In 2000, the successful launch of the CVO program was followed up with the introduction of the FXR4 and the FLTRSEI™ Screamin' Eagle® Road Glide®, an ideal marriage of the latest touring design and Screamin' Eagle performance parts.

In 2001, the CVO program expanded with another assembly line at the Vehicle Operations facility in York, Pennsylvania. That year’s models featured the FXDWG2, with a Scarlet Red paint scheme and 23k-gold-leaf flames, and the FLTRSEI2 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide.

Model year 2002 brought two more drool-inducing CVO models to the lineup: the FXDWG3, with its 14500cc Silver and Chrome Twin Cam 88 engine and the first-ever FLHRSEI Screamin' Eagle Road King®, with an impressive 1550cc Silver & Chrome Twin Cam 95.

Harley-Davidson's 100th Anniversary year, 2003, introduced the first CVO Softail model, the FXSTDSE Screamin' Eagle® Deuce™, and the FLHRSEI2 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®. The FLHRSEI2 boasted a 103-cubic-inch Twin Cam engine, while a Big Bore Twin Cam 95 powered the FXSTDSE.

The CVO program rolled on in 2004 with two more models: the FLHTCSE Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide, topped with a oil-cooled, 103-cubic inch Twin Cam "stroker," and the FXSTDSE Screamin’ Eagle® Softail® Deuce™, sporting new color selections and plenty of custom details.

Three models make their CVO debut in 2005. The FLSTFSE Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy®, the first to have metalwork painted with metal grind accents. The VRSCSE Screamin’ Eagle® V-Rod® boasted more torque and horsepower, custom wheels, and a new speedo/tach arrangement. Finally, the FLHTCSE2 Screamin’ Eagle® Electra Glide® 2 was stroked out with 103 cubic inches Twin Cam goodness with ThunderStar™ custom wheels, and vented lowers. As long as there are Harley riders with an ideal bike that exists nowhere but in their mind’s eye, the CVO program will continue to blaze new roads and arouse new ambitions.

The deeper you looked at the CVO models in 2006, the more you’d see. The FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® teamed a new 140mm tire in front with a big 200mm rubber in back. The VRSCSE² Screamin’ Eagle® V-Rod® sent the power of its big bore 1250cc Revolution® engine to a new, street-hungry 240mm rear tire. And the FLHTCUSE Screamin’ Eagle® Ultra Classic® Electra Glide® dialed up style, power, and comfort with the new 160-watt Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon® with CB and XM® satellite radio. Proving once again that when production of a motorcycle is this limited, nothing else should be.

The following users liked this post:
Camel_KSA (09-14-2022)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM
swelch
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Love my Deuce! Thanks for the history.

Last edited by swelch; 08-17-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: adding complete sentence
Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 1999FXR2 "First" CVO

While in Daytona for Bike Week 2000 I spotted the first of the CVO's, a red FXR2. At the time I was riding a 1998 Sportster that I had purchased new the previous year. Unhappy with the Sportster for all the reasons I had been forewarned, I found myself shopping for a new ride.

The new FXR2 was absolutely gorgeous and had EVERYTHING on it that I could imagine I would want or later add. I did eventually add a custom Corbin seat and a chrome front 21' wheel, Screaming Eagle exhausts and a Mikuni carb. I still have this bike and have over 67K miles on it. I have had no major issues and have only done the routine maintenance and replaced rubber when needed. I have ridden this bike to Laconia, Daytona, and Sturgis, and to Milwaukee for the 100th and 105th. I dont plan to ever sell it or trade it in for anything new. With the mileage I have I doubt it will ever command a premium in value but it sure has been one dependable, rideable, enjoyable ride. Stock little EVO just keeps purring along. Not the fastest but its never left me high and dry.

Looking real hard at a 2010 CVO StreetGlide but choking a bit on the price tag. I used to live in Indiana but moved to New Mexico June of 2009. Can ride everyday here so the desire for a touring bike.

Ride on!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 PM
raywhitemn
Stage IV
Default Nice History

Thanks for the post, love my 2001 "Switchblade"!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 AM
raywhitemn
Stage IV
Default 2001 CVO FXDWG2 "Switchblade" News Release

Here is a copy of a press release I ran across on the 2001 CVOs.

New CVO 2001 Motorcycles From Harley-Davidson

Harley's Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) Program introduces two new custom vehicles for 2001: the Screamin' Eagle FLTRSEI2 and the FXDWG2. The two all-new factory customs showcase Screamin' Eagle high performance parts and Genuine chrome accessories. The CVO program was established in order to test Harley-Davidson's ability to produce highly customized and accessorized, low-volume, niche motorcycles. August 1, 2000

Milwukee, WI - Harley-Davidson's Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) Program doubles the excitement with the introduction of not one, but two new custom vehicles - the Screamin' Eagle FLTRSEI2 and the FXDWG2. The two all-new factory customs showcase Screamin' Eagle high performance parts along with an abundance of Genuine chrome accessories.
The CVO program, which created the enormously successful Custom FXR line and the current Screamin' Eagle Road Glide, was established in order to test Harley-Davidson's ability to produce highly customized and accessorized, low-volume, niche motorcycles. The overwhelming success of these elite custom lines has proven that Harley-Davidson's CVO program is second to none.

The Screamin' Eagle FLTRSEI2 is the second draggin' bagger from the CVO group this year. It features a high performance 1550cc Twin Cam 88 motor in silver and chrome. The powertrain utilizes Screamin' Eagle performance parts configured in a street-legal package, including big-bore cylinders, flat-top pistons, cams, special calibration cartridge, air cleaner and breather for a 10% gain in horsepower and a 14% gain in torque compared to a stock motor.

In addition, the FLTRSEI2 includes the enormously popular ThunderStar(tm) wheels as well as an upgraded, premium sound system with a 12-disc CD changer with integrated hand control functions. In total, the Screamin' Eagle FLTRSEI2 features more than $9,000 in Genuine Harley-Davidson custom parts and accessories and is available in two exciting custom paint schemes - Black/Charcoal/Silver or Three-tone Blue - both with Screamin' Eagle graphics.

The FXDWG2 is based on the Dyna Wide Glide and is powered by a Twin Cam 88 motor. The slammed front and rear suspensions lower the bike for a road-hugging look and feel. A full length full tank console (designed by Willie G. Davidson) and the silver-faced speedometer, along with the LightningStar Wheels, slash-cut exhaust and billet-style turn signals add to the drama of this visually impressive motorcycle. The FXDWG2 features more than $8,000 in Genuine Harley-Davidson custom parts and accessories. Its sleek custom paint finish is done in a Scarlet Red and is accented with streaming flames of gold leaf on the fuel tank, fenders and headlight fairing. The powder-coated frame, chin fairing, battery box, coil cover and electrical enclosure are all color-matched for added visual intensity.

The Screamin' Eagle FLTRSEI2 will be limited to 1,695 units, each with a suggested U.S. retail price of $23,995. The FXDWG2 has a limited production of 1,465 units and carries a suggested U.S. retail price of $21,995. California prices are slightly higher for both models. They both carry Harley-Davidson's standard 12-month, unlimited mileage warranty and will be available at Harley-Davidson dealerships throughout the United States and Canada.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM
EZ Johnny
5th Gear

103 is the biggest CI made for CVO?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
newdep332
Tourer

Originally Posted by EZ Johnny
Negative...CVOs now have the 110" in them.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:29 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ Johnny
If you notice the date stamp on Terrys post on this topic it was on 09-13-2006, then yes 103 was the biggest cubic inch displacement available, in 2007 Harley introduced the 110 cubic inch on all of the CVO builds. Hope this clears up your question.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
racerdj
Club Member

Excellent information.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Shadetree Prez
Intermediate

hey brother, was just looking up info about the cvo's and at the end, noticed your signature, i use the same to sign my emails... dont know how i missed your avatar lol. anyways, just wanted to say hi to a brother and didnt see an easy way to just send you a message.

Quick Reply: History of Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)