Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Brian

Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 PM
bnance
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Brian

I have purchased a 2011 cvo convertible 6 months ago. I have concerns about the accuracy of the reserve fuel level light, the range meter on the odometer, and the fact that when the time is set on the odometer, it forgets the time and blinks back to 12:00 upon startup.

The reserve light is supposed to come on with about 1 gal left in the tank.
mine comes on with about 2 gallons left.

The range meter upon total fill up shows 170 miles max. Other Harleys I have been around shows in the 250 range.

I know the clock is NOT supposed to lose track of time upon ignition off.

My dealer says it is a known problem but they dont have a fix yet. Anyone else having issues like this.....any CURES?

Any suggestions? No "get used to it" suggestions please....That doesnt work on $30K bike. These problems should not exist and not be tolerated.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Jondalar
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also having the problem. Almost every first start-up of the day and after that every other start-up--the computer resets itself. Sometimes it even defaults to kilometers. I have developed a habit now of looking at the clock just before starting so that I can reset the time afterwards. The service advisor knows this.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bnance,

Welcome to the forum ...

I see this is your first post ... just a "heads up" ... As a new member most start with an introduction in the new member part of the forum.

Sorry to hear your investment has issues.

I'm going to guess the float (sensor) that registers the gas in the tank is not working correctly, or was damaged (bent / mis-adjusted) when assembled.

I suspect Clocks on the newer models are operated through the on board computer and not stand alone models like the vintage bikes. If the clock can't stay on time I'd say the issue is in the "brains" of the bike, it's main processor. If it has an obvious issue of not keeping time, it could also have issues in other operations that are going to be more of a problem in the future?

But just to throw you a curve I've had several computers that the clocks loose / gain time. You'd think an entire computer based computer clock would run perfect.

So both could be a sign of computer issues ... How does the bike run?

Jondalar,

The occasional computer reset issue sounds like the secondary voltage supply is not fully connected. It's like a radio that looses station settings and clock each time the main power is off. It should still have a constant power supply to hold memories. The occasional reset leaves me to think something as simple as a badly crimped connector, or possible a ground loss triggers the constant supply to fault, then you get a reset.

Call it a "ghost in the machine", or maybe a curse that your models have tiny issues, some even call it a "personality of it's own".

If under warrantee get it in and don't give up until they show you what the issue was (is).

Last edited by JohnnyC; 02-27-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ridden bikes for many years and most didn't have fuel gauges.
A lot of bikers judge their fill-up times by the odometer reading. On my boats I go by the hour meter. I never have trusted the fuel gauge on boats or bikes.
I always had a reserve portion in the fuel tank on my bikes with carburetors, so if I pushed it too far and the engine started to sputter I would toggle over to the reserve setting. On a fuel injected bike there is no reserve, so it is foolish to run the tank too low.
Tom

Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain

I've never owned a harley that has had an accurate fuel gauge. I was relieved that my new Cvo RG had lights on the tank rather than a useless gauge. So far I don't even think the lights are accurate.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I was riding a friends Softail CVO last week and I filled it with gas a couple times and the fuel range was only 170m when filled. I also watched the fuel range stay at 42m for over 20 miles of riding. Highly inaccurate! SJ Ron

Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Go to the dealer and get the 31891-11c ECU flash for the clock and speedo. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Jondalar
Cruiser

I did check with my local dealer, and it's true. I'm to bring my machine in on the next nice day for the re-flash. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
FLHTom1948
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tbob
Go to the dealer and get the 31891-11c ECU flash for the clock and speedo. Hope this helps.
Now that was a great answer! Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Jondalar
Cruiser

Yesterday the computer was re-flashed and it did not cure the problem. They are sincere when they say that they will "make some calls." I trust my local dealership completely and will report here about it again.

The fact that I have a clock or don't have a clock isn't so important. But if I have one then it makes sense that it should work and not just sit there blinking.