Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Hypersensitive Throttle issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
LouSteel
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypersensitive Throttle issues

My 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO had coughing/stalling problems. This is a California bike with all the strict emissions controls. My dealer tried everything. The Manufacturer danced him around and around. Finally my dealer installed a Fuel Pack (at his own expense) and richened up the mixture. That fixed the coughing/stalling problem but now the throttle is hypersensitive and annoying to ride in traffic. The best I can describe it is "subtly jerky". It makes you have to work harder to have a smooth throttle response. Makes me want a throttle cable again instead of electronic. Has anybody found a fix for this problem?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like you need to find a real good tuner to correct your fuel map. Ask around for who's considered the best in your area. Once you get him/her to correctly tune your fuel map it will run like a Swiss watch.

If you're planning a Stage l, ll, or lll do so before hand. This way it's done once saving you cash.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what you mean.
I have about 1300 miles on my 2012 CVO RG Custom and have stalled too. I am still trying to figure out the friction zone.

It feels as if I am off to smooth normal start out of first.. and then the motor just drops out. I have learned to compensate, but it still gets me, and compensating by jacking up the rpm's and feathering the clutch seems unfortunate for the $40k I have in the bike at this point.

HOWEVER-- at 600 miles I did do cams (Fueling 754) and VH Powerduals, and RC Components exhaust... along with a power commander and DYNO.

So.... the bike is a beast! I love it. But the subtle bog/drop coming out of first is still there.

I just assume it is the hydraulic clutch that is not as smooth/consistent as a cable. Most of the time it all happens so fast I really do not care... But, it is certainly there and the dealer and the shop that did the work say it is "normal"

So.. Ask about your clutch and see if this is a clutch issue. You're making me want to go dig into the issue one more time now..

You can also try a throttle pak from VH. My power commander and dyno supposedly negated the need for a throttle pak. I may still try it, but I hate to layer on stuff.

If I try the throttle pak... I'll come back and share.

My shop is so cool I bet they will throw one on and let me see if I like it.

If you are in So. Cal -- PM me for the shop #. They are great.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you not just go with a Mastertune TTS? You can tune out all the issues you are having. You won't believe how strong and smooth from idle to redline. With the TTS you can adjust everything from fuel flow to idle and eliminate your low end problem.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:46 AM
fxt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree Master Tune and if your in SoCal take it to Cycle Doctor in Costa Mesa (Jeff) he is the best hands down. I too had that issue even after tunning and I installed the Throttle Control System form Vance & Hines let me tell you its gone and I have the fastes Throttle Respond EVER I love it!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a fuel pak. I got around 100 different maps for it and the bike NEVER ran well. It would be jerky or it would backfire or it would pop insanely on deceleration. And none of it could get tuned out.
They are utter crap. My 96 with a fuel pak and slip ons got 36 mpg and ran like crap. Now I've got a cammed 106 with a pcv for a tuner. It's got 107hp/115tq and gets 50mpg on the highway.
Buy a real tuning device,get it tuned on a dyno and NEVER think about it again

Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fxt
I agree Master Tune and if your in SoCal take it to Cycle Doctor in Costa Mesa (Jeff) he is the best hands down. I too had that issue even after tunning and I installed the Throttle Control System form Vance & Hines let me tell you its gone and I have the fastes Throttle Respond EVER I love it!
This is a great shop. I was very happy there. I did end up at another local shop who had the parts in stock and worked on a friends exact bike as mine with good results.

But, I would recommend the Cycle Doctor and Jeff to anyone. He is very helpful and friendly.

PM me if you care to know/try where I went.