Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

engine noise in 110" SE

Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM
russrudder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine noise in 110" SE

I have a 2010 Sreaming Eagle Fatbob. It has a clacking sound while riding. At 2800 RPM and above, it sounds like valve train noise to me. It doesn't have the noise sitting still and reving the engine and it only does it while riding and shifting from 2nd through 6th when the engine is warm. I don't hear it untill the engine comes up to temp.
I took it to the dealer (Buds HD in Evansville, IN) yesterday and they put it on the dyno to listen to the engine. They told me yes it does have a engine noise but it is not in the valve train. They also said they had a bike come in with the same noise but much louder and they found the wrist pin out of spec. and they replaced the pin and the noise went away. Then they told me that extended waranty service said if I would consent to them tearing down the engine and they found the problem it would be covered but if they did not see a problem or a out of tollerance issue it would not be covered and I would be responsible for the bill. I told him that there has to be a problem because it sure as hell didn't have that noise when I bought it. He then told me that if it was his he would continue to ride the bike till the next service which is about 2200 miles from now and see if it gets worse because he hates to see me get stuck with the bill if they don't find an issue. So I went and picked up the bike and made another appointment for next week with the dealer where I bought the bike (Four Rivers HD in Paducah, KY). The guy there told me that he has not heard the noise yet but it sounds like spark knock by the way I described the noise.
Does anyone have any input on this or know if there is a common problem with the 110" SE or the wrist pin?

Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
steelhead
Road Master

the 110s are noisy motors. That said, your sounds like the same thing I had with mine although mine was between 2200 and 2600 rpms. The mechanic said it was a lifter not pumping up and we changed out the lifters. So far so good although it still makes a lot of noise!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:16 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Screw that!

Drop the bike off and tell them to fix it! You are not responsible for their lack of diagnostic abilities.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 PM
russrudder
Intermediate

yes 110's are noisey but it shouldn't have a clacking sound.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by russrudder
yes 110's are noisey but it shouldn't have a clacking sound.
Yes, it could indeed be described as a clacking sound. My 12' CVO SG is my first CVO and no other bike I had in the past made the noise this bike does coming from the engine. Bothered the crap out of me at first. Had 2 Harley techs check it to be sure and they said it was normal of course and after much debate and reading I have come to accept that it is. Does not seem to affect the power or performance so what they hey, ride on. I bet yours is fine and is the nature of the beast for the 110.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my 2007 SERK a few weeks ago and yes the 110 is noisy.

...and diagnostics is not covered under ESP. So ride it until breaks and then let Harley fix it for the $50 deductible.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Screaming Eagle C.J.
3rd Gear

Sounds like the same problem I have with my 2008 cvo se. I accidently put regular no lead in bike and it make a horrible pinging sound under load took to dealer, mechanic rode it heard the sound didn't know what it was. I added some octane boost and it took care of the problem. This summer I had the same thing happening(to me it sounds like a stone hitting the front fender) bike has to be warm and it does 3-4000 rpm. Put a little 110 octane fuel in it and problem solved. My take is most stations have different grades of gas but only one hose and nozzel if the person before you got the low grade gas how much is left in the hose and that is what your fill starts out with but the next person will be gettting your premium gas. Just my 2 cents worth, does it make sense?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have had the gas discussion before. The amount of different grade gas is minimal. I think is was less than a quart.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:52 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

For what its worth, my 12 FLTRXSE is very noisy. I switched to straight 60W Amsoil and it significantly reduced the noise when warm. I know the thicker oil is masking the noise but it is definitely less with no real impact on performance, so at least i don't have to listen to it.

If you can not get it to break so it can be fixed where the noise it coming from, then this might be a temp solution until it breaks on its own.

my .02

Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 11 CVO also makes quite a bit of noise. Was very concerned at first, but around 5,000 miles now and no issues.....just the noise. I would ride it until it breaks....if it ever does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine noise in 110" SE