Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Tour-Pak relocation questions again

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:56 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tour-Pak relocation questions again

I have the 2013 CVO Ultra. Yep, she's complaining that she feels right on top of me on this scoot compared to my 05 Ultra with a corbin seat. We've dialed back the lumbar support all the way but she still wants a bit more room. So of course I have some questions on relocator kits:

A. Is the tour-pak adjustable as is? Can it be unbolted and moved back an inch or two or do the CVO's not allow this? I believe my 05 had a couple of options.

B. The Kuryakyn quick relocator kit slides back or forward and uses cams to tighten the position. This looks like the most flexible solution and it says it fits on the 2012 CVO (even with the amp under the pak, I assume it would fit on the 2013 as well). Is anyone using this kit on a 2012 CVO? Did you have enough slack in the wires to even use it?

C. George Anderson I hear great things about the product. It has two options to move it back. I think 1.25 or 2.25. I know some of you are using this. I assume there's enough slack to go back the 1.25 but probably not the full 2+ inches?

Looking at the wires going to the tour-pak it just doesn't look like there's close to enough play to get it back 2". I'm also concerned about weight distribution moving it back more than 2" anyway. We do a lot of touring with weight in and on the tour-pak. I'm betting the bike will handle different when the tour-pack is full.

Is anyone using the Kuryakyn product? What's the most you think you can slide it back without really screwing with the wires?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

I have the George Anderson on my 2012 ultra cvo and had no problem with the 2 1/2" inch setting. Made a big difference for the wife. I liked the Anderson over the adjustable kuryakyn figured less wear and tear on the cables with it being in a permanent fixed position. Took about 10 minutes to install the G. Anderson. As far as a noticeable difference in handling that was not a factor and we just got back from a 2 week 3400 mile ride. Whatever you decide it will definitely give the pasenger more room.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 PM
crackers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anderson is a great piece. The factory does have the HD adjustable mount but it is set all the way back already

Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Wolphman
6th Gear

I'm running the Kuryakyn on my '12 FLHTK. No problems at all going back 3". Gives the Ol' lady more room and easier getting on. No problems with the handling 2 up and loaded.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by crackers
Anderson is a great piece. The factory does have the HD adjustable mount but it is set all the way back already
+3
Another happy G. Anderson customer

Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A. Is the tour-pak adjustable as is? Can it be unbolted and moved back an inch or two or do the CVO's not allow this? I believe my 05 had a couple of options.
Yes, take the liner out and there is a foward set of holes and another set about and inch back. Hopefuly it came with the TP mounted in the forward position thus you could gain and inch for free. EDit: in regards to the holes, the forward holes move it back and the back holes will move it forward.

Last edited by 2manytoys; 09-18-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM
danny4127
Intermediate

I am running the kuryakyn. Wires were long enough all the way to back position. Wife loves it. No difference in handling.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 AM
jlacasci
Tourer

I was at the dealer to schedule my 1K service and asked about the tour pack relocation options. I was told:
The tour-pak comes installed on the bike now, the dealer doesn't have to install it. It comes with two options (two pre-drilled holes in the pak) and came with it installed in the farthest back position ie... attached using the forward holes from inside the pak. If you look under the tour pak there are plastic concave rest attached to the underside of the pak that sit on the round support bar that the tour pak screws into. It was pointed out to me that although the tour-pak is in the rear most position allowed by the pre-drilled holes. There is another plasic rest behind this "furthest most position". However, the holes are not pre-drilled for this location. This extra rest position would give you an extra inch or so. But again, there are no third set of holes pre-drilled to use it. The beauty of the GA or Kury is they don't require extra drilling.

I'll go with one of these two options as I'm not crazy about drilling a new set of holes in the pak.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
crotchetyoldfart
Intermediate

I have a 2012 CVO Ultra with the Kuryakyn tour pack extender. It allows the tour pack to be moved a total range of four inches. One inch "forward" and three inches back. I currently have it set back about 1.5 inches which gave the wife all the extra room she needed. I did discover that the CB lead was unplugged (underneath the liner) when I moved it back, but was able to gain enough slack to reconnect by cutting a couple of zip ties and retying.

The right front adjustment lever is a pain to work with as it is very close to the plug where the wires to the amp are and there is not room to make it easily adjustable. It can be done, just a little difficult.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:59 AM
jlacasci
Tourer

Thanks guys, I ordered the George Allen on Friday.

Quick Reply: Tour-Pak relocation questions again