Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

I bought my dream bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

check periodically, cut oil filters in half and look, or fix it and be done with it.

Your choice. The first sounds like putting a bandaid over a gunshot wound and checking it every so often and hoping for the best.

I'm a mechanic. I build my own stuff. Checking stuff does not address a problem, it is wishful thinking. The shoes are junk, and have a long history of pluggin up oil passages, and grenading engines when the valves suddenly start kissing pistons.

The motor needs the cam follower upgrade....PERIOD. All motors 1999 to 2006 need it. Anyone in the market looking at one needs to know this.

I'm done here. I tried to help. This is like trying to explain to people that Obama really ISN'T a god.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 10-25-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
You're right...forget what I said....ride it until something breaks, then pay to fix it.

no need to address issues, and it was silly of me to pass on information when you are still in the honeymoon phase.

~Joe
Joe,

Please tell us how "you" know the cam shoes have been neglected in this bike by the previous owner?

I believe we are all in agreement that any new owner of a pre-2006 twim cam motorcycle (CVO or otherwise) should be aware that the cam shoes have been known to be a weak link and that if they haven't been serviced previously they should be checked and "if needed" upon visual inspection they should be replaced and upgraded.

You stated earlier that many orginal cam shoes have lasted 50,000 miles do you stand on that statement? If so, then if someone has them checked regularly (~every 7500 miles) and they aren't showing signs of wear or failure wouldn't changing them out early be considered preventative maintenence not an absolute necessity?

Bgill

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgill
Joe,

Please tell us how "you" know the cam shoes have been neglected in this bike by the previous owner?

I believe we are all in agreement that any new owner of a pre-2006 twim cam motorcycle (CVO or otherwise) should be aware that the cam shoes have been known to be a weak link and that if they haven't been serviced previously they should be checked and "if needed" upon visual inspection they should be replaced and upgraded.

You stated earlier that many orginal cam shoes have lasted 50,000 miles do you stand on that statement? If so, then if someone has them checked regularly (~every 7500 miles) and they aren't showing signs of wear or failure wouldn't changing them out early be considered preventative maintenence not an absolute necessity?

Bgill
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 PM
PotterBoy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, looks like I opened a can of worms. The previous owner of my bike was a seventy something who rode it around in Florida in he winter months. I am assuming that they have never been changed. (the bike only has 54xx miles on it when I bought it, yes that's 54 hundred, not thousand). I am pretty sure I have been harder on it this week than he ever did. I now plan on addressing the cam shoe issue this winter. I don't know about all of you, but 20k is a lot of money to me so I would rather look into it now than later.
Not trying to be negative. I really appreciate the feedback

Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

Some engines have blown up with as little as 5000 miels. Soem have made it 50,000.

My 2005 was at 1500 miles when I chucked them, and they were already worn 1/2 way through. As they wear, the chunks go into the oil.

There ARE companies out there that make a filter you can install to pick up most of the pieces.

good luck. When it does let go, there will be no warning, just a BANG!

Inspection does NOT remove the problem, just makes you feel good for a short while.

~Joe

Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM
PotterBoy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bill, nice bike

What wheels are you running

Old 10-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Bgill
Road Master

I'm running Roland Sands Diesel's an 18"/18" combo w/ Metzler tires. I bought the entire set up from Coastal Moto during one of their sales last year.

There are much better photo's of the bike on the Wild 1 Chubby website under customer's bikes with WO578 bars installed.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

I really like your bike though....the colors, etc work well.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Bgill
Road Master

Ok, since "cam shoes' were on my mind today and I own a pre-2006 twin cam I decided to stop by my local HD Dealer and ask for a quote to have the job done, if necessary after visual inspection. I'm the 2nd owner my 2004 SEEG and not sure if they were previously addressed, the SWR didn't show that they were.

Here's what they quoted me to replace the shoes:

4 hours of labor @ $75 per hour = $300.00
SE shoes & necessary gaskets, etc. ~ $150.00
Oil change (Synthetic & Filter) $75.00

If the chains or any other parts are required that would be extra of course.

Anybody had this done and if so what did you pay and did they miss anything in their quote that your bike required?

Last edited by Bgill; 10-26-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Bgill
Road Master

Originally Posted by traveler
I really like your bike though....the colors, etc work well.
Thank you Joe.

Two more photo's of the wheels for Potterboy.

Attached Thumbnails I bought my dream bike-harley.2004.flhtcse.71011-030.jpg   I bought my dream bike-harley.2004.flhtcse.71011-009.jpg  

Last edited by Bgill; 10-26-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: I bought my dream bike