Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

RK exhaust and intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RK exhaust and intake

Hey guys. So I'm putting together my list of parts I want to buy over the winter, and I want to get opinions... First, I want a set of lowers. The color match (only comes in black) is pretty pricy, but I think they will look great and help keep the wind and rain off my legs, and a little extra storage is always a bonus on long trips. Problem is, they of course won't fit with the stock intake. I was thinking of changing the intake anyways since I find the current one to be a bit of a PITA, and I don't trust that rain sock 100% while riding in heavy rains. So I was thinking a good old fashion S&S Teardrop might suit the bike just fine, and make life a lot easier. I can't imagine the bike starving for air, but do you think I'd lose much performance? Also, I've decided to keep the stock headers for now, since I don't want to get into a tuner just yet, but I am going with fullsac baffles. Can a few guys with those baffles chime in please? I want a decent rumble at idle, but I don't want something that is going to drive me nuts on long rides, or wake up the neighbors on my way to work. That being said, I'm sick of a really expensive HD sounding like a goldwing!!! So what is the "happy medium" baffle? I'm between the 2" and the 2.25"...

Anyways, thanks for any advice you guys have, and feel free to voice your opinion. I know people pay good money to go out and buy the intake I want to get rid of, but if I'm not going to suffer any power lose, then I'd rather go with something a little more low maintenance. And if I go with lowers, I'd be shelling out money for the stubby filter, so what's another few hundred for a S&S... Also, if you think this whole setup is going to look ridiculous, don't be shy...

Old 09-16-2014, 08:21 PM
East Coast
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Fullsac header with 2" baffles on my CVO SG. The 2" baffles have a deep respectable rumble and are neighbor friendly, I think you will be happy with the 2" baffles. I cant help ya on the intake, mine is different. For what its worth, I run an open intake on my other bike with a Zippers Mega air filter and never had an issue riding in the rain without the rain sock. A stock CVO air cleaner such as the one on my 2011 might look nice as an option for you if you pick up the lowers which are great in the cooler weather!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Thanks for the advice. I think you're right about the 2" baffles... I'm still leaning towards the S&S for looks if nothing else, and it does have a pretty free flowing filter. Do you think I'd lose power with it?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:32 PM
East Coast
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its negligible between the two, I would go with whatever catches your eye. I was thinking more along the lines of keeping it looking CVO ish with the HD air cleaner set up. Keep us posted.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by East Coast
I think its negligible between the two, I would go with whatever catches your eye. I was thinking more along the lines of keeping it looking CVO ish with the HD air cleaner set up. Keep us posted.
You aren't the first person to say that, lol. I know the teardrop is a more classic look, where my bike is a little more on the modern side, but I just haven't found anything else I like. And I absolutely don't want something I need too put a rain sock on...