Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Best way to find good shovel head

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:10 AM
balingwire
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to find good shovel head

What is the best way to locate:
- a good shovelhead engine or complete bike (either FXE or FLH)?
- local quality shops for shovelheads?

What are your thoughts concerning shovel FLH bikes as daily bikes and weekend touring?

I read a lot about how H-D has changed bikes over the years, and even on later-model forums, about how members feel that certain changes have lead to much better bikes than previous models; for example, "1998 Evos are better than previous year Evos", "2002 TC 88s are the best 88s, and 2002 FLHs have better frames than previous years", "no, get a 2009 or later - much better frame" and so on. After all of this, I get confused and discouraged, and I just need somebody to tell me what changes really matter, and what changes really don't amount to much.

H-Ds are expensive to own, and even my used '06 FXD was a big purchase for me, so I want to spend on the best bike that I can. I want a shovel bc I grew up around my uncle's 1978 Low Rider, which has proven reliable. I enjoy turning wrenches and enjoy old tech. I also want to get away from the H-D dealer customer culture, and if you go to your local H-D dealer on the weekends, then you know what I mean.

Is a '70s/early 80s shovel FLH comfortable, and can it be made to handle and stop comparably with 2000s-models non-ABS FLHs? I know that it can be dependable if treated, serviced, and maintained right.

Sorry about the long post - I've been putting this off for a long time, but didn't know where else to turn. Tired of just thinking, reading, and talking - ready to do. Thank you.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 PM
doctorgoo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I have a 76 FLH, and I also have a 11 Street Glide (103, ABS).
Are they comparable for comfort, handling, stopping???? Not Even Close. No Way, No How.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

if you are iffy about what it costs to own a twinkie you dont want a shovel

some have had luck with them most have spent everything they can make to keep it going

Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,653 Likes on 1,731 Posts

great bikes and a sound like no other HD
check C/L I see some deals in my area from time to time

Old 09-19-2014, 04:19 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

my ex ended up with my shovelhead in our divorce. in June, after 15 years, I got it back from her. The motor and trans were good, so I left them alone. Here's what I have done since June:

new handlebars and grips
new throttle cable
removed/cleaned out gas tanks
new gas tank mounting hardware
cleaned out carburetor
replaced fuel petcock and fuel lines
reinstalled ignition switch that someone had installed upside down
straightened shifter linkage
installed new shift pegs
installed new seat
changed oil
changed transmission fluid
installed new battery
checked/fixed all electrical issues
new exhaust pipes
replace tires/tubes/rim strips
replace wheel bearings/races/seals
replace swing arm bearings/races
replace steering bearings
rebuild front forks
flush brake systems
replace brake pads
removed belt primary
converted back to chain primary
replace vented primary cover with solid chrome
replace clutch hub
replace clutch disks
replace clutch pushrod
replace throw out bearing
replace clutch cable
add kickstart
replace speedometer cable
replace starter motor
replace starter housing bearing and plate
replace rear shocks
fitted late model halogen headlamp

Still needs paint job

Attached Thumbnails Best way to find good shovel head-photo_1.jpg  

Last edited by pjb; 09-19-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,233 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
I have a 76 FLH, and I also have a 11 Street Glide (103, ABS).
Are they comparable for comfort, handling, stopping???? Not Even Close. No Way, No How.

But you are comparing apples and oranges...compare your SG to a rubber mount 5 speed shovel...and the gap closes...especially on the comfort and handling...and the braking is easy to fix...and the 5 speed FLT and FLHT shovels are usually dirt cheap compared to a 4 speed bike...FXR shovels are not as cheap, but still not outrageous...might be something to look at if you want comfort and shovel.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 09-19-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:21 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
my ex ended up with my shovelhead in our divorce. in June, after 15 years, I got it back from her. The motor and trans were good, so I left them alone. Here's what I have done since June:

new handlebars and grips
new throttle cable
removed/cleaned out gas tanks
new gas tank mounting hardware
cleaned out carburetor
replaced fuel petcock and fuel lines
reinstalled ignition switch that someone had installed upside down
straightened shifter linkage
installed new shift pegs
installed new seat
changed oil
changed transmission fluid
installed new battery
checked/fixed all electrical issues
new exhaust pipes
replace tires/tubes/rim strips
replace wheel bearings/races/seals
replace swing arm bearings/races
replace steering bearings
rebuild front forks
flush brake systems
replace brake pads
removed belt primary
converted back to chain primary
replace vented primary cover with solid chrome
replace clutch hub
replace clutch disks
replace clutch pushrod
replace throw out bearing
replace clutch cable
add kickstart
replace speedometer cable
replace starter motor
replace starter housing bearing and plate
replace rear shocks
fitted late model halogen headlamp

Still needs paint job
you can always get another bitch to take more of your money But a good shovel now thats a find for sure

Old 09-19-2014, 11:10 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
But you are comparing apples and oranges...compare your SG to a rubber mount 5 speed shovel...and the gap closes...especially on the comfort and handling...and the braking is easy to fix...and the 5 speed FLT and FLHT shovels are usually dirt cheap compared to a 4 speed bike...FXR shovels are not as cheap, but still not outrageous...might be something to look at if you want comfort and shovel.
exactly! 5 speed rubber mounted shovels are more comparable
brakes are easy fix
A good shovel has no issues being a daily rider

Old 09-20-2014, 08:26 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I don't have near the experience with Shovels as many guys on these boards, nor over at the Shovel forums linked above (which will be taken down soon cuz this mods here don't like that forum linked here.. //shrug)

However...some input from me.

*You have an 06 Dyna....I had one for a few years..and I spent more money on that bike, and had more major issues, than I've had with my current Shovel. If you haven't found out yet, the 06 Dyna was the first year of the 6 spd in the FX, and they had major issues blowing the inner primary bearing. Due to lack of alignment dowels during first half of the production year. I went through two IPBs. They also have a stator that will self destruct on you...didn't tack weld the bolts and they'll back out and chew up the copper on you during a ride. Quite a noise!

*I wanted to work on the bike more myself...and Shovels allow that. They're old school, low tech, like working on a farm tractor. Can't do much of that with twinkies.

*I keep things affordable by getting my parts at swap meets. I prefer getting old, original used parts and cleaning them up and putting them back into use. Keeps my bike more unique, original, and sorts has more meaning for me...to put used parts back into use again and give them a life again.

My '06 Dyna....I bought her used for 7,200 bucks I think....and I spent around 1,200 bucks in repairs 'n maint on her over 3 years...and sold her for...I think 6,800.

Shovel in my sig, I bought early last spring (spring 13) for 5,500 bucks...she was ugly, leaked oil bad, but seemed to run solid. Got her looking pretty good now, tore down engine and new gaskets to fix oil leaks. Tore down primaries this spring to replace belt. Only thing gone wrong...rear brake locked up on me, easy fix...although inconvenience of a break down while on a long ride. I just took brake off and limped home slowly front brake only. Easy and inexpensive fix on rear brake. And I'm having starter solenoid issues...pretty easy fix. I don't think I've spent over 500 maybe 600 bucks on what I've done to her so far. So if I compare the total cost of ownership of this, to my prior Dyna? This is cheaper! And she's starting to look good, gets a lot of compliments from those older school guys that know what a Shovel is. And a pride in "owner maintained"!

Quick Reply: Best way to find good shovel head