Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter Clutch, Starter Drive, Bendix..whatever it's called, how do you replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:53 PM
WalkerHeaders
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Clutch, how do you replace it?

I call it a starter drive, Harley calls it a pinion gear. the name is not important. my Clymer book is LAME for that and I cant find the procedure online. I have a 78 FXE. do you have to pull the outer primary? or will the parts come out with the solonoid? I already purchased the part, just like to know what I'm in for before I start the job. any help would be much appreciated. thanks Bob

Last edited by WalkerHeaders; 09-25-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:00 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

what ever its called is not going to get it with this site - if you need help you are in the right place BUT you need to own the factory parts and service books as the guys will help if you use the correct names for the parts and using factory part numbers will also get a great responce

the re pop books are junk throw it away unless you need to soak up some oil off the bench then throw it away

Old 09-26-2014, 08:28 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

yes, you need to remove the primary cover. also need to remove the primary chain/clutch/clutch hub. the service manual will go a very long way if you are doing your own work.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM
WalkerHeaders
Stage IV

I was able to replace the starter clutch and pinion no problem. thanks for the help. If I could delete this thread, I would.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:45 AM
pipesnbugzz01
Stage IV

replaced stock starter ring( aka flywheel )with a Rivera prima heavy duty ring which had to drill out rivets to stock setup and bolted on with grade 5 hardware torqued down to softail specs, that have bolt ons but same gear count but also comes with new bendix can i just use all the stock shafts that came with the new 1.8k starter and couplings?? Just wanna be certain , all this changed out due to new big bore motor and 6 spd tranny all hi output and just making starting all that h.p. a little more "beefier "than stock , just wanna b. sure

Old 08-15-2017, 07:20 AM
pipesnbugzz01
Stage IV
Default replacing stock bendix , flywheel , ( starter ring ),

got an 03 road king have a big bore stage 4 bored .030 over , MIKUNI 42HSR EZ ,with screamin eagle matching 6 spd trans , now im at primary and replaced stator and rotor from stock 32 amp to 45 hi output amp fact. h.d. statr & rtr , Just installed a Riv., prima flywheel aka starter ring that had to tap out stock mounting rivets and installed - grade5 lockingnuts and bolts to softail torque specs starter ring comes with new bendix also ,my question is " can i use the stock shafts / couplings and springs that the ne 1.8k starter comes with which is same as stock 1.4k shaft , just slide in new bendix replacement on that came with riv ., prim ring ?? all done to match torque that new setup will / does put out !!! please reply

Old 08-15-2017, 07:34 AM
pipesnbugzz01
Stage IV
Default little help in upgrades

Originally Posted by pipesnbugzz01
got an 03 road king have a big bore stage 4 bored .030 over , MIKUNI 42HSR EZ ,with screamin eagle matching 6 spd trans , now im at primary and replaced stator and rotor from stock 32 amp to 45 hi output amp fact. h.d. statr & rtr , Just installed a Riv., prima flywheel aka starter ring that had to tap out stock mounting rivets and installed - grade5 lockingnuts and bolts to softail torque specs starter ring comes with new bendix also ,my question is " can i use the stock shafts / couplings and springs that the ne 1.8k starter comes with which is same as stock 1.4k shaft , just slide in new bendix replacement on that came with riv ., prim ring ?? all done to match torque that new setup will / does put out !!! please reply
please i wanna be sure on upgrade install , no problems so far !!!???

Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

can't help you but you'll get more responses if you post in the Touring section.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/

Old 06-25-2023, 07:58 PM
laconia 432
Stage I

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
what ever its called is not going to get it with this site - if you need help you are in the right place BUT you need to own the factory parts and service books as the guys will help if you use the correct names for the parts and using factory part numbers will also get a great responce

the re pop books are junk throw it away unless you need to soak up some oil off the bench then throw it away
the guys lookin for help ,not a sermon from you ,

Old 06-25-2023, 08:09 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

He got his sermon 9 years ago. Try to keep up.

Quick Reply: Starter Clutch, Starter Drive, Bendix..whatever it's called, how do you replace it?