Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Just picked up my first shovelhead

Old 09-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Shovelnewb
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just picked up my first shovelhead

Hi everyone. So I'm hoping some seasoned professionals can help me out here. I have been riding for 25 years but new to the harley world. To make a long story short I traded a 68 satellite (major project) for this 1981 FLH. A shovel head seemed like the right choice to get my feet wet. My knowledge on shovelheads is lacking so I was hoping I could get some opinions on whether or not I got a good deal, what this bike is equipped with (based on e pics and limited info) and what direction you would take the build. This is what I do know. Everything looks brand new wheels, brakes, swing arm, seat, bars, controls etc. It has a Jim's 6 speed, Delkron case, dual plug heads (not sure what kind), 3 5/8" pistons, not sure about the stroke but motor is fresh (still breaking it in), S&S B carb? It does run really good and throttle response is crisp. I have all the fenders and I sanded down the tank just cause I like the look. I just ordered an all ***** starter cause the stock one wasn't cutting it. That is really all I know about this bike. Thanks in advance and I do have thick skin so don't hold back

Attached Thumbnails Just picked up my first shovelhead-image.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,371 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Looks nice but you'll do more than get your feet wet with that bike. Lot's of mods....hopefully all good. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Shovelnewb
Stage III

Thanks ajshovel. The plan right know is to throw a short fender, some tracker bars, a head light- ride it and fix it as it breaks. I'm just looking for some practical advice to minimize unnecessary frustrations. Does anybody have a good suggestion for a quality battery to fit in the horseshoe oil tank location? It will be supporting a 1.4kw all ***** starter. Thanks

Old 10-01-2014, 12:32 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard. Shovels are cool. The best sounding motor. I have an 82. Check out Big Crank batteries.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Shovelnewb
Stage III

Thanks for the advice on batteries woodman. The price of Big Crank batteries is very appealing as well.