Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'83 FXRS: New to Shovels!

Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face '83 FXRS: New to Shovels!

Gentlemen,
greetings from the Evo side of the world!
this is my first Shovel, pretty good shape, obviously top end is going for rebuild - we'll see what it needs...
So far I'd like to collect advice, tips and tricks, and to get a feeling how different it is from Evo.
Was the final chain originally enclosed? Does it make sense to restore that?
Is it difficult to convert from chain to a belt?
If it is a belt primary, must I convert it to chain?
What about the clutch?
What kind of cam would this light bike like? (for instance, I'm happy with VThunder 3010 on my Heritage)
Are the oil pumps ok on those?
Any potential issues with the starter?
How are we supposed to reach for the kickstand (hahahaha)?
Bendix I don't like there, probably will get either the HD CV or SU...

All the input much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails '83 FXRS: New to Shovels!-img_20141016_093829.jpg   '83 FXRS: New to Shovels!-img_20141016_093854.jpg   '83 FXRS: New to Shovels!-img_20141016_093953.jpg   '83 FXRS: New to Shovels!-img_20141016_093843.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Enclosed chain tells me it was an FXRT or even maybe a "P" FXRS and FXR had open secondary chain, and enclosed Chain Primary.
Also If it is a Belt primary, it is probably a BDL with a Pro clutch. Good stuff but, The taper must Not be inhibited by the Damn key...Split hub will result.
All FXR's and the like have the same kickstand...Gotta get used to it.
Bendix is also Not Stock. I like the Edelbrock QuikSilver, or I run the Original Screamin'Eagle/Andrews Flowmaster. Lots of folks running S&S "E" happily.
Choice of cam is very personal...I won't go there except to say that long ago, I put a "H" grind in place of whatever EPA **** was in there and have been Quite happy.
I have run B's, A's AB's...a 310 that I like.
Late shovels are at least as Sound as Early EVO's so ...Not alot to point out as far as Differences.
I have a Very Soft spot for the Shovel FXR's of whatever description.....

Old 10-17-2014, 03:59 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:15 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an 83 FXRT and an 82 FXRS
As Racepres said, enclosed chain is FXRT, FXR and FXRS are open chain
Keep it open.... enclosed chain is a good setup and makes the chail last longer... but that one time you have to change it, it will be a pain... and you only have to options of sprockets, 46 and 48 teeth. Open chain: a lot more available if needed
Chain to belt (final drive): new primary cases and transmission needed I think.
To run a splined shaft you need, I think, the whole new transmission (not just guts and mainshaft), new primary, new starter setup
With new I mean upgraded.. same thing with the clutch
Unless to don't pop (too many) whhelies, the shovel clutch is just fine
Oil pump is like an early EVO I think
CV carburetors on shovels work fine... cheaper than new S&S

Old 10-17-2014, 04:25 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain

Thank you guys!
I see so it was open chain originally (as it is a FXRS). I'll just have to keep buying good quality o-ring chains I guess.
Haven't opened the primary covers yet, but sounds like I will find an early Evo chain setup there...
As far as the carb goes, I like super E on my decker, but not so much elsewhere, since that subtle flat spot in the middle just drives me crazy!
HSR42 is too big, so I'm thinking CV - Harley or SU - they are equally good I guess, so it will depend on $$...
If Bendix is not stock, I wonder what was the reason behind putting it there? Cheap fix?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by V_twins
CV carburetors on shovels work fine... cheaper than new S&S
Originally Posted by jokenroll
Thank you guys!
I see so it was open chain originally (as it is a FXRS). I'll just have to keep buying good quality o-ring chains I guess.
Haven't opened the primary covers yet, but sounds like I will find an early Evo chain setup there...
As far as the carb goes, I like super E on my decker, but not so much elsewhere, since that subtle flat spot in the middle just drives me crazy!
HSR42 is too big, so I'm thinking CV - Harley or SU - they are equally good I guess, so it will depend on $$...
If Bendix is not stock, I wonder what was the reason behind putting it there? Cheap fix?
The Bendix is easier to deal with than the Stock Ka-Sneeze...Good carb really.
The CV...Very good also...But, I find them to be less than Snappy, as an FXR deserves...
Run that Bendix unless it is having Issues! They work Fine.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Racepres
Run that Bendix unless it is having Issues! They work Fine.
apparently the Bendix needs rebuild and it does run pretty crappy. So I feel quite reluctant to get a kit and bother with it...
So you think SU wouldn't give enough kick for the light bike? I don't really like Super E on light bikes, what do I have to play with then???

Old 10-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Carbs are sometimes a very personal thing...What works for me don't work for my boys, who don't share preferences either!
I can get by with a well tuned "B" but don't prefer it...The Edelbrock is winning me over from the Butterfly ScreaminEagle/Andrews flowmaster. ...It is on a Kick only 74 incher.
I have had good luck with an "E" on an FXR also..when I run hard and loose!!!
If more sedate operation is in order...the CV is very good.
At 74 - 80 inches...the Bendix is really as good as most...Clean it up, put an American made [right from Zenith/Bendix] rebuild kit in it, and Have fun...Make sure you use a real [ie K&N] Airfilter, and proper pipes [glasspack mufflers] and performance will surprise you.
2" Drags and a Sponge for an aircleaner...No so Much Happiness....
Enjoy

Edit to add...Absolutely nothing wrong with an SU...If ya got 'em...Smoke 'em....

Old 10-18-2014, 09:46 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I had trag pipes (ehich later used as headers) on mine for like a week.... soooooooo much better when I put the mufflers back!!!
A lot more torque!!! I'd stay away from drag pipes.
What do you mean early evo setup for the primary?
Clutch and compensator are shovel, the chain is the same for 5 speed shovels and evos

Old 10-27-2014, 12:21 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain

Oh well, slowly starting to get to it!

Turns out the carb is not Bendix but a butterfly Keihin. So this thing I guess is going straight to the thrash can!
Found a nice SU on Ebay, should do the job, I'd think...

As for the clutch, it's an older style wet clutch, with adjustable springs and Evo double chain.
Any issues there? If it looks/measures alright, should I keep it?

also, the tranny is interesting: 5 speed with an old style side cover and clutch lever. I wonder if I can fit it w a kick? I see them so far either for Evo 5sp or Shovel 4speed....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '83 FXRS: New to Shovels!