Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Static time electronic Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Static time electronic Ignition

An earlier post a while back I was asking how to static time a Dyna S igniton in a 1974 shovel. This is what I did. I rotated the flywheel so that the Line was directly centered in the inspection hole. I then connected a test light to the blue wire on the coil and grounded the probe. Finally I rotated the advance mechanism clockwise. This turned the light off. When turning the advance mechanism back counter clockwise I adjusted the ignition plate so that the light would come back on just when the advance mechanism ends its travel. I hope this is correct. it starts good. I thought however it was the other way around where when you turned the advance mechanism clockwise the light would come on.

randy

Old 11-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I don't work that hard at it...With the advance mark in the window, I simply turn the mechanical advance mechanism to full advance. I'm looking to fire the plug[s] at full advance, and no sooner...Just exactly like Points...

Old 11-22-2014, 07:24 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

According to Dyna S instructions this is what I should do.

1. connect a test light to the blue coil wire
2. rotate the engine until on front cylinder compression stroke
3. remove crank case plug
4. turn on ignition
5. While holding the rotor in the advance position with the flyweights against their stops (counter clockwise) slowly rotate the engine forward until the test light becomes bright. The advance mark shoud be centered in the whole.

I have done that with the exception of I put the advance mark in the hole first then rotate the rotor until it just stops counter clockwise. I turn the plate so that it does that. The problem is the light is on all the time until I bottom out the rotor at its stop and the light goes off.

So am I right or whats going on here

randy

Old 11-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
According to Dyna S instructions this is what I should do.

1. connect a test light to the blue coil wire
2. rotate the engine until on front cylinder compression stroke
3. remove crank case plug
4. turn on ignition
5. While holding the rotor in the advance position with the flyweights against their stops (counter clockwise) slowly rotate the engine forward until the test light becomes bright. The advance mark shoud be centered in the whole.

I have done that with the exception of I put the advance mark in the hole first then rotate the rotor until it just stops counter clockwise. I turn the plate so that it does that. The problem is the light is on all the time until I bottom out the rotor at its stop and the light goes off.

So am I right or whats going on here

randy
I have setup quite a few Dyna-s iggys...never with a lite!
Can't speak to that.
I check them by having plugs out and grounded, key on, engine rolled to Advance mark [double check you are on the Advance mark for your engine and you are on the compression stroke of the front cyl]
Once crank is on advance mark [in the inspection hole] I turn the Mechanical advance unit. If the plugs Fire at the absolute limit of Advance unit travel...It is Correct.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:11 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

Yup, that works

randy