Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Front master cylinder fitting

Old 11-26-2014, 12:45 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front master cylinder fitting

I want to change my top line (from my master cylinder to the tee), since it gets in the way of my gauge. Will the early style master accept a banjo fitting?

Attached Thumbnails Front master cylinder fitting-banjo.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:52 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,371 Likes on 4,115 Posts

If that's your FLT it should. Not sure the size, but that's the same MC that I have on my '83. When I took off the hard line to replace with braided I used a banjo fitting and bolt.

Check out a Russell catalog for fittings and lines.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
If that's your FLT it should. Not sure the size, but that's the same MC that I have on my '83. When I took off the hard line to replace with braided I used a banjo fitting and bolt.

Check out a Russell catalog for fittings and lines.
I have never seen a '82+ Front MC that used inverted Flare...So. Can't help.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:51 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

the bike's an 80 FLT, but the PO replaced the shark fairing with an early 90's batwing. So I can't swear that the master is original 80 or not. I've got a braided banjo line left over from my 06 Electraglide after I upgraded it to Brembos in the front.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

The pic in your fist post certainly appears to be an '82+ but...My experience level is Limited on '79 -'81...Wish I could help.

Seems Odd that I have a Recollection Gap right there!!!!
Trying to recollect...I was still in the Canoe Club then...In Memphis...Dirt Bikes, in Tipton county, and Drag Racing in Shelby county!

Last edited by Racepres; 11-26-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:32 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

some how i missed this one --

the controls you have in that picture are 1982 and up to 95 -- the brake line is 79 to 81 - and the threads are different - the 79 / 81 master is a smaller size than that one on the bars now, almost 1/2 the size and it has a 3/4 bore and the line in the picture screws directly into the master on the early small master set up -- the later set up has and uses a banjo fitting not what you have my guess - what you have is someone screwed a car master fitting into the 82 up master with a tapered thread / or a banjo thread with a an line fitting inlet -- would need a picture of the other side to ID what you have --

in my shop we would not have done it that way - we would have made a new set of lines with 79 to 81 bottoms and 82 to 95 tops so you could use the correct 3/4 master, BUT only if you were using the bat wing -- for the 79 to 82 style brakes FLT has special calipers with the small master and they wont cross-

question what are you doing ??? swapping anything out --

when you go and put the shark back on you will encounter an issue with that big 82 to 95 master hitting the shark way before the bars are turned to full - and its on the kickstand side Bummer -- you will have to go back to the early master or maybe a handle bar swap that moves the 82 to 95 master out and away from the shark - i have not seen that done BUT in the mix of parts in those years a bar change must have been made to do this - i will look and see what i can find

Old 11-30-2014, 09:16 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
some how i missed this one --

the controls you have in that picture are 1982 and up to 95 -- the brake line is 79 to 81 - and the threads are different - the 79 / 81 master is a smaller size than that one on the bars now, almost 1/2 the size and it has a 3/4 bore and the line in the picture screws directly into the master on the early small master set up -- the later set up has and uses a banjo fitting not what you have my guess - what you have is someone screwed a car master fitting into the 82 up master with a tapered thread / or a banjo thread with a an line fitting inlet

from the 80 FLT parts manual, it shows a fitting between the line and the master ?

Front master cylinder fitting-x.jpg

-- would need a picture of the other side to ID what you have --

Here is a close up of the present master; since my 80 didn't come OEM with a radio, I'm guessing when the PO swapped out to the batwing, he swapped the controls from the same EVO bike?

Front master cylinder fitting-a.jpg

Front master cylinder fitting-c.jpg

in my shop we would not have done it that way - we would have made a new set of lines with 79 to 81 bottoms and 82 to 95 tops so you could use the correct 3/4 master, BUT only if you were using the bat wing -- for the 79 to 82 style brakes FLT has special calipers with the small master and they wont cross-

I believe the calipers are original, they match this photo from the 80 FLT owners manual I have.

Front master cylinder fitting-dd.jpg

question what are you doing ??? swapping anything out --

at the moment, was just wanting to change the upper brake line, since it crowds out the temp gauge behind it.

when you go and put the shark back on you will encounter an issue with that big 82 to 95 master hitting the shark way before the bars are turned to full - and its on the kickstand side Bummer -- you will have to go back to the early master or maybe a handle bar swap that moves the 82 to 95 master out and away from the shark

I have no problem following your advice about needing a bar change when I put the shark back on

- i have not seen that done BUT in the mix of parts in those years a bar change must have been made to do this - i will look and see what i can find
ultimately, I'll probably change the lowers so I can run an extra set of Brembo's I have. For now, was just thinking about the top line. The tranny in my 06 took a dump on me this week; had to tow it home (lucky only a mile from the house). Will have to ride the shovel for a while if I've got to rebuild the tranny...money just got shorter since I'm still laid off...too damn old to be out lookin' for work again. Ah well, got my health, so I'm grateful.

Last edited by SeaZund; 11-30-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:58 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SeaZund
ultimately, I'll probably change the lowers so I can run an extra set of Brembo's I have. For now, was just thinking about the top line. The tranny in my 06 took a dump on me this week; had to tow it home (lucky only a mile from the house). Will have to ride the shovel for a while if I've got to rebuild the tranny...money just got shorter since I'm still laid off...too damn old to be out lookin' for work again. Ah well, got my health, so I'm grateful.
i do not know the master bore for those newer calipers as we do not work on twinkies at all - you may want to up grade to the switches for that front lower set as well as the master, and it is not as long as the one you have the front master

and just as i thought they used a 1/8 tappered pipe fitting with the female line in - and you will find the thread is crossed 1/8 pipe to 10MM straight thread and they used teflon paste to seat it with the stuff that hardens

what could have happened to the trans to have it not move the bike - front pulley splines stripped ???? shift spring broke -- doing 7000 RPMs burnout hahahahahahah up the street

yep that is the correct calipers for the early FLT and parts are becoming a thing to find as they are bigger than the sporty and FX look alikes

Last edited by johnjzjz; 11-30-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:39 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
i do not know the master bore for those newer calipers as we do not work on twinkies at all - you may want to up grade to the switches for that front lower set as well as the master, and it is not as long as the one you have the front master

and just as i thought they used a 1/8 tappered pipe fitting with the female line in - and you will find the thread is crossed 1/8 pipe to 10MM straight thread and they used teflon paste to seat it with the stuff that hardens

I'll look for this when I dis-assemble it.

what could have happened to the trans to have it not move the bike - front pulley splines stripped ???? shift spring broke -- doing 7000 RPMs burnout hahahahahahah up the street

actually was just easy puttin' (40ish mph down the road in top gear) after having Thanksgiving meal with some friends. Made a small clunk/clatter noise and no longer engauged with the motor. No trash in the primary when I opened it up.

(It may be a stroker with 120 numbers, but I don't really try to pull wheelies or do burnouts. Something I learned years ago; beef up the motor and other stock parts are next in line to fail.
)

haven't disected it yet to figure out what broke; got the clutch basket broke free, but having trouble breaking the compensator nut loose...so far, too tight even for my impact wrench. Using a 6-point socket, guess I need a longer pipe on my breaker bar...that or eat another bowl of Wheaties ?

yep that is the correct calipers for the early FLT and parts are becoming a thing to find as they are bigger than the sporty and FX look alikes
see insert

Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SeaZund
see insert
2 types of masters were available - the last picture is what you sent a 1981 FLT that is mine and it has what you should have

Attached Thumbnails Front master cylinder fitting-001.jpg   Front master cylinder fitting-002.jpg   Front master cylinder fitting-003.jpg   Front master cylinder fitting-004.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front master cylinder fitting