Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Split rocker boxes

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Spumoni
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Split rocker boxes

I am in the process of replacing the rocker boxes on my custom 78 shovelhead. It currently has OEM rocker boxes that were split and powder coated - we noticed a hairline crack on the inside, and it looks like the chrome was never removed so I plan in looking for a used pair of OEM's to split and powder coat again. Of course the rear rocker had a slight leak.

My question is - if this is done properly, will there still be a chance they leak? There is that 9th middle bolt that can't be used when the boxes are split... but I found a pair of NEW split rockers online for about $600 that still use that bolt in the center, but still gives that split look.

I hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,865 Posts

lots of missing info

the rear box is cracked - well what did that --

valve spring pressure plays into this -- OH it has evo rocker conversion - i am running paper gaskets with no 9 th bolt - - not a fan but we have done them with no way no how we do it over if it leaks - had them on my sporty back in the day for a while -

tin gaskets are the only deal and you have to glue them with the ( right stuff ) permatex # 85224 - i dont care what the tin gasket company sayes you need to glue them

the trick is to use a double sheet of paper towel and take the right stuff smear on to the gloves between the fingers a wad of glue - than work it into the tin gasket both sides all around - then take it the glued gasket and put it into the paper towel and fold over - change the gloves to new set they are gone - than pat the paper towel as it was folded over the glued gasket after a min or 2 - take a look - if its still thick and oozing - new paper towel and do over pat it for a min or 2 than look again if it looks like a cometic foam gasket its ready to install -

the only way we found to keep them from coming back a week later

coating the covers makes them worp BTW and we re dress the gasket area after its all coated, than we bolt the rockers in as well ( before machining ) then take it all apart to clean before its ready to install - bolting it as its going to be insatlled moves the covers a bit as well -- reason we do it that way

Last edited by johnjzjz; 12-05-2014 at 02:02 PM.