Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1978 FXS- Gonna keep it stock

Old 12-09-2014, 12:30 AM
InnishMoor
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 1978 FXS- Gonna keep it stock

I've owned this FXS since 1984. Previous owner had swapped the original exhaust for the "oh, so common" drag pipes. He also replaced the original rear fender with what appears to be from a Wide Glide.

So, I haven't started the thing in over 20 years and it has been garaged the entire time. Gas was drained from the tanks and carb. Also dumped oil into the top of the cylinders through the spark plug holes. That's about all I did to it during the last winter storage prep.

The plan I had was to mod it to sorta like an FLH. I have finally decided to keep it original as the correct look FXS. With the exception of the exhaust and the rear fender it's all original in very good to excellent condition. Miles are at 25k.

So, I'm searching online for pictures of so called "original" early 1978 FXS's and what I see is pretty straight-forward except when I get to the handlebars. I'm seeing a few different styles. The set on my bike are what I think are referred to as "buckhorn" handlebars. Can anybody verify if these would be the correct style factory handlebars?

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to post right now, but hopefully will have some posted in a few days.

I know it's gonna take a lot of work to get it back to good, but thankfully I have the means to see it through.

I posted in the "wanted to buy" section, but thought I would ask here as well. I know they are hard to find, but I am looking for an OEM exhaust pipe, 2 into 1. If anybody has one or may have a lead on one, I would be grateful if you could let me know. Thank you and kind regards-

I.M.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts
Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

And this is as good of an Original rear fender as you are likely to encounter...Sadly I hate Imported sheet metal, so Shopping is a Must.
Remember that you will probably need fender rails for an FX rear fender also!
I like it already...and I haven't seen it!!!!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:29 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

FXS fender rails are different in appearance than FX rails. They have black inserts that show through the stock sissy bar. The stock handlebars are the flat drag style which most people changed for a more comfortable set. If your's have been changed you will also have to shorten the control wires back to stock length. The risers are a pull back style for the drag bars.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:47 PM
InnishMoor
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the replies, Guys.

@Tom- Thanks for the link to the exhaust. After finding the correct part number I was able to find a few more for sale.

@ Racepres- Thank you for the fender link. I'm gonna need to get serious and get a parts manual or use that web site in the "sticky" section of the main page. Also, great catch on the fender rails. I was assuming the current ones would work.

@ Filthy- thanks. Your mentioning of the cut-outs or inserts in the fender rails caused me to relook some pics and, of course, you are correct- they are different. As for the handlebars, I have seen the straight drag type in pics. Cool look but probably not too comfortable for distance. That's what my Road King is for! Good points on the cables, etc. it has the 4" risers swept back.

Soooooo, it's looking like there is more that needs to be replaced than I originally thought. Thank you all again. I will try to get the pics posted within the next few days. Take care-

I.M.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

All of the fender rails for FXS that I have seen simply have what looks like Black electrical tape under the cutouts of the Stock SissyBar!
I'll Check part#'ss.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:58 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

this photo might help , shows the inserts in the fender rails that match the insert in the air cleaner cover

Old 12-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
this photo might help , shows the inserts in the fender rails that match the insert in the air cleaner cover

Yes...I remember now...Those are thinner , kinda Tinny Rails with indents for that black painted portion....The Smooth sided ones I've seen have the Tape...
I personally don't care for the "indented" ones..Correct or Not!

Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by not_so_newb

that's a really good looking machine

Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SeaZund
that's a really good looking machine
That's the way they came....
They are mostly customized now so they don't look like everyone elses!!!!!!
Kinda Cool to me that stone Stock looks Unique!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1978 FXS- Gonna keep it stock