Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Andrews A vs AB ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:34 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Andrews A vs AB ?

Does anyone have experience with Andrews A and AB grinds on a light shovel?
The difference is: A has the same intake/exhaust duration, AB has longer exhaust duration.
some places say AB makes a shovel run cooler, some say it calls for higher RPM.

I'd guess it is both, so my question is: is it noticeably cooler or noticeably higher RPM (again, we are talking a light FXR here)?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

While it likes RPM I'm not sure it is that noticeable.I can't say that you can "feel" a temperature difference either..I have run it...But, For the Shovelhead, Most cams require lots of RPM in order to tell the difference...I don't ride My Shovel that way. The FLH [H Grind] works just fine for me...
I can say I like the AB better than the "B" but, that ain't sayin much...
Gonna try a 300 soon...But, I'm a glutton for punishment!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

i perfer the AB over the A and both will use hyd or solid lifters

it stands to reason about the longer exhaust timing to reduce oil temps, but we are talking 5 to 10 dregees only so it yea BUT no, in that it actually is changing the dynamics of the running of the engine one could say as they have it does

having said that it does pull different and i like the spot it does it in

Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
having said that it does pull different and i like the spot it does it in
hmm, interesting...
so what's this spot (roughly) and what's your ride, may I ask?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jokenroll
hmm, interesting...
so what's this spot (roughly) and what's your ride, may I ask?
The Spot as you ask is around the middle of each gear - a nice tug on the bars nothing to rave about but for a user frendly shovel its about right being stock stroke / bore --

Well i have a shop and do not work on twinkies evo is the last harley we take in the shop

shop winter jobs -- 1950 original pan - took everything not 1950 off and found all oem 1950 to go back on -- including top end over haul

1960 Pan chopper correct motor all matching in a 1952 hardtail frame, chopper not neck cut 6 over springer - complete motor IE stroker 4 1/2 stroke cam solide kind of thing / trans overhaul re fresh FX gearing light bike - re do wiring - re do star hubs nice ride really

carry in 1965 pan motor complete over haul cam solids another chopper / bobber kind of thing looked at trans today will be doing it as well

1966 FLH - complete motor / trans - complete new wire harness - wheels - forks - swingarm - over hauled its a driver -

1972 Shovel motor stroker screw up --- by another shop cant go into it lets just say it had 30 miles and seized as they mixed up the pinion shaft that is side oil with a end oil cam cover and it destroyed all of the new stuff in it - shame really took it apart and still dident know what happened --so

1977 shovel motor and trans overhaul it was time -- one of my bikes dresser it looks like it did when it left harley

another one of mine stripped to the screws - 1981 FLT shovel shark nose its an original 16,000 mile bike just making it real right for anther 30,000 miles

evo 96 inch stroker we did its in for a dyno tune and look for a little more -- always a little more hahahahahahaha

my pride and joy 1948 Indian Chief red as original as can happen re freshing the motor and trans it should last me the rest of my life ready in the spring - when it did not want to start i knew exactly how it felt as we are 5 / 6 weeks different in age by chassis number build date - hahahahaha

chassis up resto on a very low number 1946 Indian Chief complete bike we spend 17.000 so far and only have maybe 1/2 what we need

Old 12-19-2014, 02:38 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain

Wow, that's impressive, Johnjzjz!

I also don't work on twinkies, but this is my first shovel

So I'd imagine the AB cam is in 77 shovel, or 81, where everything is stock, compression too?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:47 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jokenroll
Wow, that's impressive, Johnjzjz!

I also don't work on twinkies, but this is my first shovel

So I'd imagine the AB cam is in 77 shovel, or 81, where everything is stock, compression too?
if the heads are stock on the 81 it wont fit as they - harley had a brain fart and used valve guides that were too tall so machine work needs to be done to fit it - or any cam for that matter other than stock H type

the 77 its a bolt in but we always do the heads when we cam them but thats me as i have a rymac maching to set the valve spring location and pressures ( hyd lifters ) so they dont pump out at 4000 RPMs and all the power goes away

i have some pictures i was just going to post of the bikes if it will let me that is - i still have a rotary phone in the shop

Attached Thumbnails Andrews A vs AB ?-dec-20-pictures-015.jpg   Andrews A vs AB ?-dec-20-pictures-016.jpg   Andrews A vs AB ?-dec-20-pictures-014.jpg   Andrews A vs AB ?-dec-20-pictures-011.jpg   Andrews A vs AB ?-dec-20-pictures-013.jpg  

Last edited by johnjzjz; 12-19-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain

yeah, that's right, 81 - 82 moco did something weird.
but for 83, I guess I don't need to do anything to do anything for A or AB ?

Old 12-19-2014, 05:21 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

late 1980 / early 1981 and they were different both years with different guides they were the same length one had seals and one did not

funny thing was you had to take the heads off to see what ones it had as they haphazard the engine installs so what was done to one got lost in the mix of all of them for assembly

it was stupid really - but once the guides are replaced it is all good

Old 12-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Daves'81FLHS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
late 1980 / early 1981 and they were different both years with different guides they were the same length one had seals and one did not

funny thing was you had to take the heads off to see what ones it had as they haphazard the engine installs so what was done to one got lost in the mix of all of them for assembly

it was stupid really - but once the guides are replaced it is all good

When the head is off how do you tell? Would love to put a Leinweber L3S in my bike.
Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Andrews A vs AB ?