Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Remove Transmisson question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:36 PM
LowRiderFXSB
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Transmisson question

How many hours should I be getting charged for removing and replacing my trans... no parts included Im just looking for labor hours for the remove and install...the bike is a FXSB dry clutch twin belt...going to get some estimates this week from local bike shops NOT stealerships to see how many hours they say to do the R and I and if there on target or trying to rip me off....Thanks

Last edited by LowRiderFXSB; 02-08-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:50 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I bet any shop you take it to hasn't worked on a Shovel in years and their mechanics probably weren't even born when your bike was built. Most owners do their own wrenching. Buy the factory service manual and parts manual, it has all the steps in stripping the bike for repair. You should be able get an idea on what is involved. If you plan to keep the bike invest in the manuals and buy a clutch puller, you will need one eventually.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Plus 1 on above -- the book calls for a tool to set the shift forks as well, we teach in my shop you can use the trans lid to set them it does take some practice, if your plan is to OH the unit just ask lots of guys on this shovel site have done them and can help, But very few shops today have shim selections in stock but its still snowing so help with that can happen as well --

Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 AM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
I bet any shop you take it to hasn't worked on a Shovel in years and their mechanics probably weren't even born when your bike was built. Most owners do their own wrenching. Buy the factory service manual and parts manual, it has all the steps in stripping the bike for repair. You should be able get an idea on what is involved. If you plan to keep the bike invest in the manuals and buy a clutch puller, you will need one eventually.

true that ! You'll probably have to find an independent. I wrench myself. It's not hard as long as you have tools and a place to lift your scoot. Not to mention the most important part, the MANUAL !

but, I would bet an indy would bill for 5-6 hrs.