Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

4 way hazard flasher

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:12 AM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 4 way hazard flasher

In my HD factory service and Clymer manuals, for my 81 flh. It shows a 4 way flasher with 6 prongs. I cant find that part anywhere.

Anybody have an idea where I can locate it ?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

look behind the fairing. follow the wires from the switch.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 AM
onaride63
Road Master

Originally Posted by pjb
look behind the fairing. follow the wires from the switch.

I know where its at on the bike. The part is missing and Im working on my turn signals. I think I need it.

When I hold my turn signal buttons, left and right, one at a time they flash correctly, BUT on my dash BOTH left and right bulbs blink as if I was in hazard flash mode. When I hold both buttons at the same time I get no flashing anywhere. I bought this bike and the prior owner stripped a bunch of **** off of it..to include all turn signals.

I think I need that 6 prong flasher to correct this problem ?

Last edited by onaride63; 02-15-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by onaride63

When I hold both buttons at the same time I get no flashing anywhere.

I think I need that 6 prong flasher to correct this problem ?

There is no 6 prong flasher on that bike...it uses one 2 prong flasher for the turn signals...and one 2 prong flasher for the hazards...the 6 prong thing on the wiring diagram is the hazard switch...which is how you activate the hazard flashers...not pushing both buttons at once.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 02-15-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:08 AM
onaride63
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
There is no 6 prong flasher on that bike...it uses one 2 prong flasher for the turn signals...and one 2 prong flasher for the hazards...the 6 prong thing on the wiring diagram is the hazard switch...which is how you activate the hazard flashers...not pushing both buttons at once.

Your diagram is way different than the ones in my manuals...but then again mine is not an FLHT, It's a FLH Heritage. Definitely a difference in wire diagrams.

My Bad ! wrong terminology, not a 4 way flasher but a HAZARD flasher. It still has 6 prongs, leads, as you circled, ( upper right ).

Back to the original question. ( not why they were not flashing correctly )

Where can I Find one ( purchase ,that is )

Can ya help with that ?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Your diagram is way different than the ones in my manuals...but then again mine is not an FLHT, It's a FLH Heritage. Definitely a difference in wire diagrams.

Where can I Find one ( purchase ,that is )

OK here is the FLH diagram...arranged a little different but wired exactly the same...you have a 2 prong directional flasher...a 2 prong 4 way flasher...and the thing with 6 wires is the emergency flasher switch ...which is what operates it...it doesn't say on the diagram but a would bet it is a double pole double throw switch (DPDT)...any of these parts can be bought at any auto parts store...there is no 6 prong flasher...it is a switch.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 02-16-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:51 PM
onaride63
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
OK here is the FLH diagram...arranged a little different but wired exactly the same...you have a 2 prong directional flasher...a 2 prong 4 way flasher...and the thing with 6 wires is the emergency flasher switch ...which is what operates it...it doesn't say on the diagram but a would bet it is a double pole double throw switch (DPDT)...any of these parts can be bought at any auto parts store...there is no 6 prong flasher...it is a switch.

Sometimes it takes a big hammer. I gotcha. Thank you. I still cant figure out why both directional dash lights, light whenever I use either left or right signal. ? thanks again !

Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

I still cant figure out why both directional dash lights, light whenever I use either left or right signal. ?

The easiest way for that to happen would be that the lens support is broken/missing.... and the lights are working, but each bulb is lighting up both sides.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 02-16-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:02 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

are you saying that your turn signals themselves work correctly when used, but whenever they are used, the dash lights will both light up (as if the hazard mode is enabled)?I just worked on my 80 FLT turn lights; both the turn and hazard flasher modules are located next to each other, mounted on a plate between the triple trees, along withe the 3 circuit breakers (ignition/lights/accessories).

Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 AM
onaride63
Road Master

Originally Posted by SeaZund
are you saying that your turn signals themselves work correctly when used, but whenever they are used, the dash lights will both light up (as if the hazard mode is enabled)?I just worked on my 80 FLT turn lights; both the turn and hazard flasher modules are located next to each other, mounted on a plate between the triple trees, along withe the 3 circuit breakers (ignition/lights/accessories).

Yes. I only have 2 breakers. I thought there looked like a third should be there. That's why I got confused with the flasher switch.

Correct, when I use the right turn signal both direction lights blink on my dash. Happens when I use the left also. Where the passing lamp switch is on the headlight housing there is another hole that had a grommet in it. So obviously that's where the4 way flasher switch goes. But by not having that in place, would it cause my turn signals ta act this way ?

The wiring on this bike is all wrong. it had the old style point ignition in it. The passing lamp switch controlled the high beam and the ignition switch on the dash Is wired wrong.

Quick Reply: 4 way hazard flasher