Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

New Shovelhead Owner...Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by bmfakler
If it turns freely after doing that what would that tell me?

If it does not turn freely what does that tell me?

Well if you remove the pushrods, then you take the valves out of the equation and can determine if the pistons will move in the cylinders. You can also see if the tappets move up and down as they should.

If they do then you have to wonder if the pushrods were adjusted correctly or if you might have a valve that is stuck.

The fact that you kicked it through once would indicate to me anyway that the pistons are not froze up (bought a 75 FXE that had been sitting for over 30 years in a garage and got it started in 30 minutes..so it takes a lot to freeze cylinders and pistons).

I am thinking pushrod adjustment, valves, cam not clearanced properly, wrong cam for motor (too much lift).

Think before I would even try to go further, I would take off the top end and check the valves, pull the tappet blocks and cone and make sure the cam is shimmed properly and you have the right cam for what is there, and while in the cam chest inspect all the gears. The gears lash could be too tight causing the gears to bind. Oh and while you have the pushrods out, get a pice of glass or granite and roll the pushrods to make sure none are bent.

Definitely do not try to froce the motor to turn over. Last thing you need is a bent valve or pushrod.

One more question for you. I looked at your original post and you do not say if the guy you bought it from ever had the motor running with all the new goodies added, or he brought it home and jsut let it sit. Think if you ask him and he says yes, then you should tell him about how it will not turn over now. Any hesitation on his part you can call bull$hit on it ever having been run.

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-27-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:31 PM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumping this one for an update. Being a new Shovel owner can be very trying at times, but once you get the bugs worked out of whoever's project you inherited they're GREAT to ride and you don't have to worry about being another one of the cookie-cutter twinkie's in the watering hole parking lot.

Let us know what you've found so far - especially if you took the pushrods out, which takes the valve train out of the equation temporarily.

Hobo