Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Waterline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 AM
amfhd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FL54
I did two compression tests, one regular and then after removing spark plugs and pouring a small amount of 30 wt. oil in. Compression went up over 10 lbs. in each cylinder so rings were suspect.
I use the term indy because he is not an employee of a dealership. He's just an old Harley guy that loves working on the old iron. He just charges me his cost on parts and asks that I make a donation to a charity for his labor. You could meet a thousand guys and not find another like him. I think he'd pay me to work on this bike he was so excited to work on a 45 year old "virgin."
That is really cool.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

FL54, one wuld think that if it were from water that there would be noticeable rust on the steel components of some sort (tranny sprocket, bearings, needles.

Regarding the use of kerosene, never heard of that but I would have to ask around.

And to my knowledge Belmont (along the ECR) has never been under water (as far back as the early 50s anyway).

You haven't said what type of gaskets you are going to use for the reassembly, but I have switched to Cometic. Did it for the 49 pan as well as the shovels. Couldn't be happier. Like the idea of metal type gaskets over the paper/fiber stuff. So far no leaks on any. When I start on the 65 I am going to use Cometci on that motor as well. Just an idea to consider.

Keep us posted on the build and throw in some pics as well.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 415 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by amfhd
That is really cool.
It is extremely rare to find someone who is both honest and competent.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:33 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by FL54
It is extremely rare to find someone who is both honest and competent.
That is an absolute truth! Only had two people ever do motor work on my bikes. One just passed away at age 94. (He forgot more that I could ever learn from him.) The other is a young guy (about 40) who had been doing the work for about the last 10 years (he was recommended by the first wrench).

Honest, competent, reliable and takes the time to show you what needs to be done. Gives me parts as his cost, adn just charges for labor. I have a lift so I can strip down the bikes and just give him the motor complete, if required, or parts that I need machined. Think he appreciates that it is bench work rather than a complete tear down.

Good indies are hard to find.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM
FL54
Road Master

Roger that Panz on all points. The bike doesn't have any rust to speak of. I don't think the waterline happened at the dealer. Maybe it was up in the Sacramento, Yuba City area at some point when it flooded.
I was just trying to confirm the kerosene, diesel, storing while overseas theory.
The motor is at the Indy's shop and I brought the chassis home to conserve space at his shop. Will keep posted as progress dictates.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:38 AM
scootertrash
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looks like it sat a while.

The aluminum is porous,and the oil soaked in. looking at the pics,the lower part is all darker then the part above the line. If it was from condensation/water it would be pitted along that line. The water floats to the top of the oil,along with other contaminates. I just worked on a 1967 that WAS in a flood. Then sat a year or so. All the shafts and bearings were destroyed. The worst corrosion was right along that line. It is kind of hard to describe the slimy mess that the water/oil mixture became. Especially the primary. Great pics to show folks why you should store your bike with fresh oil,And not start it until you can ride it.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 AM
FL54
Road Master

Originally Posted by scootertrash
The aluminum is porous,and the oil soaked in. looking at the pics,the lower part is all darker then the part above the line. If it was from condensation/water it would be pitted along that line. The water floats to the top of the oil,along with other contaminates. I just worked on a 1967 that WAS in a flood. Then sat a year or so. All the shafts and bearings were destroyed. The worst corrosion was right along that line. It is kind of hard to describe the slimy mess that the water/oil mixture became. Especially the primary. Great pics to show folks why you should store your bike with fresh oil,And not start it until you can ride it.
It did sit for long periods on several occasions. The cylinder walls had several distinct ring markings from sitting for a long time.