Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

front drum brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:43 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default front drum brake

I'm trying to get the brake drum off the lower leg. It is an early frontend; I don't know the year but the casting number in the drum is -49.

I was able to free the pivot stud with a impact driver; the axle sleeve is giving me grief. Is the axle sleeve threaded into the lower leg or just threaded at the end for the nut? The FSM shows threads on the nut end of the sleeve only, just double checking before I get out the bigger hammer (JK).

thank-you,

s

one more thing, at some point someone used a screwdriver to remove the oil seal (o-ring) and damaged the ring that secures the oil seal (I'm talking about the other lower leg now). It looks like they thought it was a regular oil seal and tried to pry it out. Will a modern front fork oil seal seat in the place of the felt ring? I don't think the OEM seal will work with the visible damage as it is currently. The ring that secures the OEM o-ring seal in place appears to be machined as part of the lower leg, is this correct? Is there a way to remove or repair screwdriver damage to this?

I picked up these lowers at a recent swap meet.

thanks again.

s

Old 04-04-2015, 09:58 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by scottfisher
I'm trying to get the brake drum off the lower leg. It is an early frontend; I don't know the year but the casting number in the drum is -49.

I was able to free the pivot stud with a impact driver; the axle sleeve is giving me grief. Is the axle sleeve threaded into the lower leg or just threaded at the end for the nut? The FSM shows threads on the nut end of the sleeve only, just double checking before I get out the bigger hammer (JK).

one more thing, at some point someone used a screwdriver to remove the oil seal (o-ring) and damaged the ring that secures the oil seal (I'm talking about the other lower leg now). It looks like they thought it was a regular oil seal and tried to pry it out. Will a modern front fork oil seal seat in the place of the felt ring? I don't think the OEM seal will work with the visible damage as it is currently. The ring that secures the OEM o-ring seal in place appears to be machined as part of the lower leg, is this correct? Is there a way to remove or repair screwdriver damage to this?

I picked up these lowers at a recent swap meet.

thanks again.
It should not take an impact driver to remove the nut on the pivit stud or the axle sleeve, and you should not need to bang the $hit out of the axle sleeve to remove it either (understand the JK part of this). It should at most be a tight press fit. Might I suggest you use some PB Blaster and let it soak before attacking it.

There is a spring clip (sits in a grove) that holds the washer and felt seal in place. It will pop right out with a screwdriver. The best way to remove the seal is to go to your local auto parts store and buy a seal removal tool. Couple of dollars but it will save the caveman approach and avoid damaging the top of your sliders. And yes the top of the slider is machined for the seal. Any chance you can post a pic. Hard to imagine it being that damaged to the point where the seal can no longer function.

Last edited by panz4ever; 04-04-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:44 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by panz4ever
It should not take an impact driver to remove the nut on the pivit stud or the axle sleeve, and you should not need to bang the $hit out of the axle sleeve to remove it either (understand the JK part of this). It should at most be a tight press fit. Might I suggest you use some PB Blaster and let it soak before attacking it.

There is a spring clip (sits in a grove) that holds the washer and felt seal in place. It will pop right out with a screwdriver. The best way to remove the seal is to go to your local auto parts store and buy a seal removal tool. Couple of dollars but it will save the caveman approach and avoid damaging the top of your sliders. And yes the top of the slider is machined for the seal. Any chance you can post a pic. Hard to imagine it being that damaged to the point where the seal can no longer function.

Thank-you for the reply.
The pivot stud was seized in; the nut came off easily. The axle sleeve is also seized in place. I have put PB blaster to it; I will put some propane heat to it and gently warm around it and see if it will come out.

I found a tractor store open today (it's Easter holiday weekend...not much open). They mic'd the opening and slider and set me up with oil seals. The seal fits in the place of the fiber ring. It's too late to take a pic, I have the seals in place. The attached photo is from my FSM; it is the exploded view for 77 and earlier...it doesn't have views for earlier legs. It shows 22 as the oil seal. My legs have a square o-ring that sits in a groove. The top of the groove looks like the metal top of a regular oil seal, but it isn't. It is part of the leg case. The fibre ring sits on top of this. The oil seal I bought today is the thickness of the fibre washer and it fits nice. I left the square o-ring in it's place also.

I wish I had taken pics...I will next time.

thanks again

s