Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

New look for an old girl.....1980 Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:19 PM
OHIOCAFERACER
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New look for an old girl.....1980 Sturgis

Thought i'd post this over here on the HD Forums also....in addition to the Shovelhead forum. Figured some might like to read about this winter build.

Started a new project last fall. Found a really nice 1980 Sturgis for sale on Craigslist at a good price. The bike really had been changed by the previous owner and most of the stuff that made it a Sturgis model was gone. The bike is a great runner and mostly wanted to fix a few problems and update the look a little.

A couple pics of how the bike looked when I purchased it.

Over the winter, there have been some parts replaced along with the bike being lowered about 3" in the back and 3-4" in the front. Fork lowers have been shaved and removed the fender mounts and a new 21" rim installed. 16" Burly narrow glide bars with new style handlebar controls. Shaved and powder coated the upper triple clamp and install a new headlight. Still need to install front brake lines, control cables and do the wiring harness. Not alot of big modifications......but still a work in progress and will be a fun bike this summer.

Did some more work on the shovel this weekend. Got the calipers cleaned up and installed. Installed the new powder coated covers over the fork dust seals. Ordered some new black Russell stainless steel brake lines and should get the front brakes finished soon.

Did some repair work on the right side tank. Previous owner had dropped the bike and tank had a huge dent right where my new tank emblem brackets were to be mounted. So......welded a couple nails and used the slap hammer to pull the dent out. Smooth as butter now and can get to work welding on some emblem mounts and getting them repainted.

All the tins needs some bodywork and will be painted gloss black.......but gonna use a different emblem. I really like this one and will prob use it on the gloss black paint.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:19 PM
OHIOCAFERACER
Intermediate

More updates on the shovelhead. Got a lot of work done over the last few days. Installed some new cables from https://www.magnumshielding.com/. Cant believe how perfect the cables are. Since I was matching newer handlebar controls and using the S&S Super E carb, they had a custom ordering selection that allowed me to use the smooth ends at the controls...with the correct ends for the Super E. Worked perfect! Ended up with 8" over for the throttle/idle cables and 10" over for the clutch cable.

Next on the list was.......

Turn signals and mounts. Ended up deciding to mount my turn signals up at the brake and clutch perches using these chrome mounts and mini deuce style signals.

Rear turn signals will be red, as I am using a turn signal integrator to make them run as tail/brake/turn signals. Till the red bulbs arrive....they are just amber.

Next was paint and wiring.....

Sent the body work off to the painter to fix some dents and lay down some new gloss black paint.

Rear fender and struts installed.

Next to attack was the wiring. After figuring out where everything needed to be, I started attaching some WeatherPack connectors in places where I may need to pull it apart in the future.

WeatherPack Connector

Pulled the bike outside for a quick pic, without the tank emblems on.

Went back inside and temporarily attached the tank emblems to see how they look on the bike. My painter still needs to wet sand and buff out the tanks and fender, so gonna have to wait to install them permanently. The emblems definitely make the bike look a lot better.

Just a few more small things to finish up on this bike and it will be DONE!!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

That's a nice ride there, couldn't think of a better color. Good job.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Very Cool ... Reminds me of my 79 FXEF ( which I still have ) I picked it up and brought it home and immediately stripped it to a bare frame ... My son's and I spent a lot of quality time resurrecting it.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:38 AM
OHIOCAFERACER
Intermediate

Thanks for the compliments! Took a couple new photos the other day.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:21 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Real nice, what you gonna use for tank bib?
Also, if you don't mind my opinion, the ONLY thing I don't like is tail light. They make one that fills the fender perfectly.I put on mine.

Last edited by glidein wide; 04-10-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:58 AM
OHIOCAFERACER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Real nice, what you gonna use for tank bib?
Also, if you don't mind my opinion, the ONLY thing I don't like is tail light. They make one that fills the fender perfectly.I put on mine.
I purchased one of these chrome bibs. Installed it last night.....not sure that I like it.

Not alot of options when using that dash.

Yeah.....that rear tail light is one of the small things I still need to address. The lense mount is broke and I need to replace it. I have been looking at the larger tail lights, they fill in that rear fender nice. Also need to get a shorter speedo cable.....as the one on there now is way too long. Hopefully get some of these small issues taken care of soon.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by OHIOCAFERACER
I purchased one of these chrome bibs. Installed it last night.....not sure that I like it.

Not alot of options when using that dash...
google leather tank bibs - there are a few vendors that make them - some even sponsor this site - dr. itch is one

Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM
OHIOCAFERACER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
google leather tank bibs - there are a few vendors that make them - some even sponsor this site - dr. itch is one
Thanks for the info Joe......I will do that.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:23 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

That chrome one could be dangerous with the sun angle. Blinding.

Quick Reply: New look for an old girl.....1980 Sturgis