Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

79' FLH Clutch and Sprockets Upgrade - Experienced Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Steve-Glide
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79' FLH Clutch and Sprockets Upgrade - Experienced Advice Wanted

My 1979 FLH is a glorious machine, I genuinely appreciate it for what it is. Last fall on a ride across the state, I started to feel more vibration at higher speeds (65+) than I would like. I enjoy riding on the secondary highways around 50mph, and at that speed, it is a pleasure. The bike has 36K and everything is original. I realize this machine's original gearing was designed when the speed limit was 55mph, so HD found the sweet spot back in the day. When I'm riding with friends and we're taking the main highway for a stretch, all the traffic is going 75+, which becomes really uncomfortable. My FLH just wasn't designed to run smoothly at those rpm's.

Additionally, the clutch basket seems to make a bit more noise and feels like its roller bearings are wearing to a point where I can feel a distinct difference when I pull the clutch while the engine is running and the bike stopped and in neutral. Also, I've been thinking about updating the sprockets with +1 up at the front sprocket and -1 at the wheel. In the interim, I found a virtually new Primo Rivera Pro clutch that came with several primary parts. Since I was going to pull the inner primary to change the sprocket and fix the worn out shifter linkage, I figured I would give this Primo Rivera clutch a try and try to stop a slow oil leak.

Id love the benefit of anyone with experience in this matter. What is the best way to seal the main shaft? I've read about the James gasket seal for super Jims nuts, as well as various other inner primary seals. My bike is slowly leaking oil around this area and I think it is the shaft seal. What sprocket tooth count makes the most sense for a cruising riding style? Is there anything else I should address while I have this thing apart? I want to get all my parts, seals, etc. so I can start and finish this job in a weekend.

Heres a pictures of the Primo Rivera Pro clutch and various parts I intend to replace. The clutch is almost new (approx 1k miles on it) and I got everything shown for a fraction of the new cost. I'm looking for some experienced advice before I dive in; I want to be prepared to replace the typical gaskets, seals, etc. let me know your thoughts. Thanks - Steve

Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I would ride 100 miles of Gravel before I would ride 1 Mile of Super Slab...
No Matter if the queen of Sheeba was givin Blow jobs on the other end!!!
Obviously I won't be any help....
I do know that if that Clutch Hub is alloy, you must be fairly careful on the tapered tranny shaft and also ensure the stupid Key aint "proud" you can easily break that alloy hub...

Old 04-15-2015, 05:25 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

care in changing the front gear with out dropping the rear it will chew up the starter area of the inner primary

we do a 23 up front and a 46 in the rear that will get the engine speed down to road speed sweet spot - it will take some getting use to as you wont be in 4th till you are out on the hwy

Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
care in changing the front gear with out dropping the rear it will chew up the starter area of the inner primary

we do a 23 up front and a 46 in the rear that will get the engine speed down to road speed sweet spot - it will take some getting use to as you wont be in 4th till you are out on the hwy
care in changing the front gear with out dropping the rear it will chew up the starter area of the inner primary good advice here! Seen this happen many times

Old 04-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
care in changing the front gear with out dropping the rear it will chew up the starter area of the inner primary good advice here! Seen this happen many times
Throw in lowering kit or short shocks and see what happens!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

I have run a Primo Rivera Pro clutch for ten years and it is a major upgrade from the stock clutch...I have used it though several fame up builds, and 2 different wide tire kits and have had it off and on at least 10 times with no problems with the alloy hub. As far as the leak, you will almost surely find that the main gear bushing is worn out...and none of the fancy fixes they sell to fix the leak, will work for long if you do not replace the bushing.

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2010...real-solution/

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 04-15-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:00 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

25 years ago we took the seal spacer and cut a 45 degree back cut on it allowing that o ring to fit behind it - some bikes it stopped some bikes it did not stop the slight leaking

i have seen 10 different things that have been done they all look like a good fix as Ton said till the bushing has just the right amount of wear / looseness to allow oil to seap out

Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 PM
robertlee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run stock primary parts with my 4 speed. Everything is 1976 Shovel, except the engine which is '95 Evo. But, I pulled the inner primary and went from a 24 tooth and 49 rear to a 25 tooth, and 49 rear. I ran it for a couple months. Excellent highway. really nice at 75. No mirror shake. But I found that in town I could not find a sweet spot for riding. I was always 2nd or 3rd, not quit right. So I went back to 24t tranny gear on the 4 speed. Lost my extra highway speed, but better in town. Contrary to popular belief, it did not once touch the trans case. But the chain must be kept adjusted.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:43 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Contrary to popular belief, it did not once touch the trans case. But the chain must be kept adjusted.

the front primary chain is not the rubbing issue its the rear chain == when the front gear for the rear wheel is upped that when the suspension moves the damage happens as its an angle thing

Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 AM
72fl
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

I run the Primo just put it in last year what an upgrade, it was like night and day fabulous works excellent, easy to do. As far as your vibration check motor mount check handlebar clamp, handlebar risers. I ride with guys with twinks etc, they'll run 80 mph, me well I ride a 72 FLH as far as your speed, well lets just say they ain't going to get there much sooner with you riding comfortably at your speed. IF YOU DON'T GO WITH THE PRIMO LET ME KNOW MAY BE INTERESTED

Quick Reply: 79' FLH Clutch and Sprockets Upgrade - Experienced Advice Wanted