Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Lifter wheel bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:19 PM
FLHJEFF
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter wheel bearing failure

I have an 82 FL that had a lifter go out. The wheel bearings are disintegrated on the lifter. I'm worried about the bottom end. I just had it redone and its only got about 10000miles on it. Is there a trick to get out all the metal out of the case from the bearing? Is the bottom end shot? I put a magnet in the cam housing and nothing except for little metal dust pieces came out. Checked the cam and it looks good.

Jeff

Old 04-18-2015, 10:23 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Count the bearings on the ruined lifter and compare it to a new one. If you are missing any start looking. I found some inside the breather gear when I had one go. I found them all and never had any problems and ran it for many years.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:20 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

two things - the very small rollers usually brake into dust and they make a feed side magnet metal catcher kind of filter for the oil line going into the oil pump - for this i would install one and you can just pop it apart draining the oil and clean it out after a ride - we had in the past installed them even on rebuilds - you need to look at the rollers on the other lifters that does not sound right if you have had the unit overhauled -

they installed china rollers or they never installed new USA / japan ones -- USA torrington rollers it will happen but in very high mile motors 20 30 years of use - berry common china junk failing 1 or 2 years later

Old 04-19-2015, 11:15 AM
FLHJEFF
Stage III

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
Count the bearings on the ruined lifter and compare it to a new one. If you are missing any start looking. I found some inside the breather gear when I had one go. I found them all and never had any problems and ran it for many years.
Thanks for the reply. So looks like I ll take apart the cam housing cover and see if I can any of the bearing parts. All the inner of the bearing are gone so you think I would find something.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:25 AM
FLHJEFF
Stage III

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
two things - the very small rollers usually brake into dust and they make a feed side magnet metal catcher kind of filter for the oil line going into the oil pump - for this i would install one and you can just pop it apart draining the oil and clean it out after a ride - we had in the past installed them even on rebuilds - you need to look at the rollers on the other lifters that does not sound right if you have had the unit overhauled -

they installed china rollers or they never installed new USA / japan ones -- USA torrington rollers it will happen but in very high mile motors 20 30 years of use - berry common china junk failing 1 or 2 years later
Thanks for the response. Do you know where I can find this type of oil filter? When I stuck a magnet in the bottom of the cam housing I did get some metal dust so Im hoping they did break up.

When I had it rebuilt they didnt replace the rollers.They never ask and I didn't even think about it. In fact one of them is miss matched so who knows how old they are. Dumb move and I have learned my lession.

Last edited by FLHJEFF; 04-19-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHJEFF
Thanks for the response. Do you know where I can find this type of oil filter? When I stuck a magnet in the bottom of the cam housing I did get some metal dust so Im hoping they did break up.

When I had it rebuilt they didnt replace the rollers.They never ask and I didn't even think about it. In fact one of them is miss matched so who knows how old they are. Dumb move and I have learned my lession.
on e bay put this number in - 301555361787 maybe you can find a cheaper one if you search around small oil magnet

if you need new real rollers put on your lifters let me know we stock the USA or japan ones that are the only ones we use