Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'71 FX Superglide - couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 AM
07-FLSTC
Cruiser
Received 158 Likes on 69 Posts
Default '71 FX Superglide - couple of questions

Hey all,

Just picked up a '71 FX from a co-worker (pic below). It's been in his family since new, but he hasn't ridden it for 10 years or so. Fairly complete, but was painted black at some point, and has a couple of aftermarket mods like an S&S carb and top end, later speedo, etc..

I am planning to strip down and restore to stock, but would like to make the following mods for driveability and safety, would appreciate any ideas:

- Electronic ignition: Any recommendations?

- Front disc/discs: Which later forks might fit? Thinking of a single setup for simplicity.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM
northernrunner
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of point conversion kits available. Pull out a parts catalog and pick a popular brand name. I personally wouldn't change the front brakes. Granted the discs are better, but why ruin the original vintage look you are going for. Don't see to many of these 70's era Super Glides around anymore. What was the original color?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:16 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Don't change it up too much. That's a rare bike. First superglide made!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

ride it for a while before you make changes. you will enjoy the experience of a 40+ year old bike for what it is. and if you don't mind checking them periodically, for a kick only 74" bike, points are pretty foolproof. but the ultima electronics kit is very good for the price.

just noticed someone added elec start and a mag wheel - so it's not that original... nice bike regardless

if you insist on disk brake - any newer sportster 39mm front ends will bolt on and be an improvement

Last edited by Joe12RK; 04-29-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 PM
07-FLSTC
Cruiser
Received 158 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Anything non-original I would do such as forks would be able to put back to stock, and I would keep all the old parts intact...I like to ride mine, and drums just don't cut it, especially around this area.

Someone added an electric start, so that I would probably leave, although the kicker actually works pretty well. I am also on the hunt for the correct rear wheel.

Not sure on the original color, but I think it might have been black; I know these were originally white with the stripes, but later black, blue, green and copper were available. I'll know more when I start to disassemble it.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by 07-FLSTC
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Anything non-original I would do such as forks would be able to put back to stock, and I would keep all the old parts intact...I like to ride mine, and drums just don't cut it, especially around this area.

Someone added an electric start, so that I would probably leave, although the kicker actually works pretty well. I am also on the hunt for the correct rear wheel.

Not sure on the original color, but I think it might have been black; I know these were originally white with the stripes, but later black, blue, green and copper were available. I'll know more when I start to disassemble it.
Nice looking Boatail you have there. Definitely a piece of history.

"Restore to stock" is kinda of an oxymoron since you have others ideas for riding it in your area. Ride a 49 and 65 Pan in the Silicon Vally (Kali), both with drum brakes, and I have just learned to keep more distance, look deep and brake sooner.

The older iron have casting numbers stamps everywhere - forks, frame, tanny , engine...and more. You can get a history of your bike by contacting HD Customer Service. Did that with my almost stock 75 FXE (front brake disk bolts and front brake line) to verify the sellers info to me regading color of sheet metal.

And just a couple of thoughts...get an HD shop manual as well as an HD parts manual. Parts descriptions, pics and numbers are invaluable.

Before you tear it down take pictures, lots and lts of pictures, close ups and far away shots, from lots of different angles. Always helps when you are putting it back together and cannot quite remember where/ how some part went back together.

Last edited by panz4ever; 05-03-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:17 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Dont take this the wrong way - but if your not going to leave it as its been for 40 years ( sell it ) and buy a cut up one as they are all over the place - taking that piece and carving it up because you dont like the brakes would be a shame -

if you were to come to my shop with those ideas we would not help you do just that - plenty of indys that know nothing about that type of ride, that will help you destroy it

Old 05-04-2015, 01:24 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,426 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Dont take this the wrong way - but if your not going to leave it as its been for 40 years ( sell it ) and buy a cut up one as they are all over the place - taking that piece and carving it up because you dont like the brakes would be a shame -

if you were to come to my shop with those ideas we would not help you do just that - plenty of indys that know nothing about that type of ride, that will help you destroy it

I have to agree with John. You just don't find 1st year FXs that are that original. That's one of those bikes that would be a crime not to do a total resto.
There are plenty of well done Heinz 57s out there. JMO.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

I found this at another site - a good way to improve the front brake w/o changing to disk. Change to Dual Leading Shoe - most people won't notice the extra linkage and lever and you'll get 14% better brakes.
http://victorylibrary.com/tech/harley-2LS-c.htm

I also noticed you are getting a lot of flak for wanting change this bike - I am not trying to cut your bike down, but the more I look the less original it is. Enjoy it for what it is - not what it used to be...

Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz

if your not going to leave it as its been for 40 years ( sell it ) and buy a cut up one as they are all over the place ... I couldn't have said it any better ...

Quick Reply: '71 FX Superglide - couple of questions